Quick Question about Letter of Recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCTrojan11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a professor at the Keck School of Medicine who I've known for 4 years and did research and mentioned in publication with count as one of the science teachers? I also have a letter from my O chem professor and my public health (non-science). Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess she counts as a science professor, but not a "science professor that has taught you in a class" which some schools may want.

Does a professor at the Keck School of Medicine who I've known for 4 years and did research and mentioned in publication with count as one of the science teachers? I also have a letter from my O chem professor and my public health (non-science). Thanks

I don't think so...it'll count as a "other" or "research" letter. Depends on how stringent the requirements at a specific institution are...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not the answer you wanna hear, but it depends on the school. Most (actually all) of the ones that I called would accept research as a "science LOR" if you did research with that mentor for academic credit at some point. Most likely, if the school asks for "science faculty," then this is the case. Other schools may be more strict if they ask for a "science professor." Of course, the best answer comes from calling admissions of each school in question.

Last edited:
I don't know... but Fight On! I know one of my friends asked Herrera for a dental school rec letter and he was pretty nice about it even though he didn't know her as a student. I just ended up taking science classes elsewhere and asking those profs that knew me to write my LORs. If I had to guess, though, I'd think your PI is a decent science letter.

Well I'm taking research for credit with him in the fall so technically he is a science teacher. And I always thought it would look better to have one teacher and one researcher so they can speak for you from both perspectives. Maybe I'm just rationalizing. Furthermore, he teaches at Keck SOM to 2nd years so his insight on my success would probably be more meaningful. Who really knows though?