Quick question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to ask a teacher I haven't seen/talked to for a year for a letter of reccomendation --> Have any of you ever went back to an old teacher and asked for an LOR out of the blue? If so, how'd they respond?

Members don't see this ad.

Bring the prof some of your old work: exams, papers, lab reports, whatever you have available, maybe even your transcript to remind him/her of the grade you received in the class. This way it will be easier for the prof to remember you and they will have something specific to write about you in the LOR.

Turkeyman said:
I'm planning to ask a teacher I haven't seen/talked to for a year for a letter of reccomendation --> Have any of you ever went back to an old teacher and asked for an LOR out of the blue? If so, how'd they respond?

Most profs realize that writing recs is part of their job, and have no problem doing this. To limit the number of requests, they usually limit letters to those who have earned a certain grade or better. But bear in mind that after a year they might not remember you (if they ever really knew who you were), and thus the recommendation might be pretty luke warm -- i.e. "XYZ took my class and got an A; He thus demonstrated a solid understanding and mastery of the material." Thus it's always best to get recs from profs and employers who know you best, if that's possible. Some profs will want to meet with you to find out your plans before writing; others want some sort of resume or synopsis to rely on.