quick question about nursing to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nurseman77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in a pretty good nursing school at the moment, and I am curious about going to medical school. I love being a nurse, but I also want to be a doctor. I love helping people, and I think I can do both. I am also almost done with school.

Just some backround information:
I have taken all the orgo, some of the physics, and probably biochem this summer.
So now I just have to take the MCATS, which I am registered for, and I think I should do alright on.

My question:
What does it take for someone who is a nursing major to get into a medical school?

Ex.
Gpa?
Prerequisites? (Do they all require the same prerequisites, or can I get away with not taking some classes)
MCAT scores?

What else am I missing?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a nursing student nor have I ever been one, but I work with lots of people in different nursing schools so I have a little bit of an idea of the process (at least at the schools in my area). One thing that may give you trouble is that I know at my school they recommend nursing students take less competitive gen chem and non-nursing-specific science courses so that their GPA doesn't get killed and they don't have to compete with the pre-med gunners. This may reflect badly on your application/not meet schools' requirements if this is the case for you.

I would encourage you to get a book called the MSAR - Medical School Admissions Requirements - published by the AAMC. I've always been able to borrow it for free from my local public library, but you may just want to buy it for around $30. That has information about specific programs' course requirements as well as their average accepted students' GPAs and MCATs and information about how many people apply, are accepted, etc., and if you are really interested in any one school their website will have even more detailed info.

As far as what you might need to strengthen your application, I think you should try to shadow a few physicians if possible, but the main reason for that is so you are familiar with clinical medicine. Your experience with rotations as a nursing student should be seen as an indicator that you know what's going on in clinical situations - I have been working under nurses for the last year or so as an aide and that has been something that interviewers have seemed to consider good experience. Also, leadership and volunteer experiences are important compenents of a good application, as is research (though I haven't researched at all and have been accepted into two very respectable programs).

Having worked with nurses I have to say I have a lot of respect for the field and think you're just as well off (not financially, but everything else) in either field, as long as it's the one that really suits your abilities and personality. Good luck with everything!

Thanks a lot I appreciate the feedback! I'll check that book out!

Members don't see this ad :)
So you want to operate as a doctor and nurse at the same time?

As great as that sounds, I don't think that would be a very realistic goal. I really love nursing, and I feel like I am doing great in it. However, I have wanted to be a doctor ever since I was little, and I am just trying to keep doors open, so who knows!

I love helping people, and I think I can do both.

Oh ok, that sentence had me thinking you were trying to be some kind of super doctor/nurse.

As great as that sounds, I don't think that would be a very realistic goal. I really love nursing, and I feel like I am doing great in it. However, I have wanted to be a doctor ever since I was little, and I am just trying to keep doors open, so who knows!

This is just what I heard :confused: but.. adcoms might see a nursing student suddenly applying to medical school as undedicated because he/she is taking 4 years of nursing credits and is not even working afterwards, but instead applying for medical school. I think they recommend you at least get like a year of work done with your nursing degree and then have you apply stating that you realize becoming a physician is your calling. It would also obviously be great clinical experience.

but then again, this is just what I heard.. if you truly think you want to become a doctor then make it happen! Good luck!:luck: