quick question about shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guyski79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally would not list it.
I think most people would agree that 1 day is too short to be a meaningful shadowing experience.
Try not to engage in "CV padding" if possible, people tend to see through it.

I also think 1 day is too short. However, maybe you could try to get a few more full days shadowing (in whatever specialty) and list your 1 day in the ED as part of that extracurricular.

Members don't see this ad :)
one day isnt enough to list.

i think the hardest part of shadowing is finding someone who will let you shadow. you've already done this, why not shadow more? it really is a good experience and ought to give you something to talk about in apps/ interviews. i spent somewhere around 30-40 hours shadowing for the past month and i plan to do more. not to pad my application but because i've enjoyed it a lot, and the more i see, the more i want to see!

especially with an ED doc- spending a few weeks would be great because who knows what you'll see? it's something different every day (hopefully.) this sounds like a good opportunity, take it!

edited to add:

i guess when you say you were visiting a friend . . . was really far away and thats why you can't keep doing it?

I don't think it hurts to add it. It probably won't carry much weight as far as the extent of your medical experience, but I think there's nothing wrong with stating that you saw some ER medicine.