Quick Question about Thank You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedStudent55555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had this amazing shadowing experience with a plastic surgeon who gave me a lot of great advice and exposure to the medical field and is currently thinking about writing a thank you note to him for being such a great mentor to me. I just have some really quick questions:

1. In the thank you note would it be appropriate to refer to him as a mentor even though it was only one shadowing experience? I felt like I learned a lot but it was only one encounter after all. If it isn't appropriate what should I refer to him as?

2. Should I leave my contact information on the thank you note to keep the door open to other shadowing opportunities or advice from him? If so, should I just leave an email or a phone number or both?

I know this seems to be common sense but I just wanted to make sure this thank you note is written well.

Members don't see this ad.

You're thinking way too hard on this

Reactions: 2 users
So I had this amazing shadowing experience with a plastic surgeon who gave me a lot of great advice and exposure to the medical field and is currently thinking about writing a thank you note to him for being such a great mentor to me. I just have some really quick questions:

1. In the thank you note would it be appropriate to refer to him as a mentor even though it was only one shadowing experience? I felt like I learned a lot but it was only one encounter after all. If it isn't appropriate what should I refer to him as?

2. Should I leave my contact information on the thank you note to keep the door open to other shadowing opportunities or advice from him? If so, should I just leave an email or a phone number or both?

I know this seems to be common sense but I just wanted to make sure this thank you note is written well.

Leave a brief, polite, and thoughtful card. Don't include your contact information and somehow bludgeon the word "mentor" into it. The note will frankly sound odd and borderline salacious.

One shadowing experience is not a "mentorship." Mentorships are relationships. And just like with any relationship, it's important to cultivate them over time--by the same token, it's really off-putting to rush into them. Kinda clingy, ya know? So slow down, pretend to be normal, and carry on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users