quick question about verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elee20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I need a little help on verbal. I almost always can get the answer down to two choices but have a hard time choosing the right one. So, does anyone have any advise on the easiest way to choose between the two? Thank you for any input, and good luck to everybody taking the test in april!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm. I think that's a tough one to answer (cuz if it weren't, we wouldn't be complaining so much about how hard verbal is), but the way I did it at that point was to go with my gut feeling.

Most of the time questions on verbal don't lend themselves to re-reading for small details, so it would likely be a waste of time to do that. I did what EK suggested, and that's to read carefully once, then make your best guesses from what you got out of the passage. If you stop to go back a few too many times, your timing will be completely off, and your normal strategy will go out the window. I believe this is why many people have problems with verbal (i.e., if I went back on this question, why shouldn't I do it on the next one?). This leads to a severe time crisis, and oftentimes, lower than desired scores.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was doing. I would go back to the passage and look for the small details and spend to much time trying to decide between the two. That could explain why I never finish!

Originally posted by elee20
Thanks, that's exactly what I was doing. I would go back to the passage and look for the small details and spend to much time trying to decide between the two. That could explain why I never finish!

Yeah, I had this problem at first. Actually... I still catch myself going back to the passage too much sometimes. It has been a bad habit of mine :(

Yeah I'd do that too and then want to change the answer and then end up debating if I should change the answer or not and get into this thrity seconds of insanity....anyhoo I'd have to agree with the gut thing it really works