quick question for 3rd/4th yrs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSKFlorida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any idea where to go to get a reliable list of what avg incomes are like for docs a few yrs out of residency? I know asking is one way, but I seem to get mixed answers. A ER resident told me starting is avg 250k, but im seeing on studentdoc.net and other web sources, more like 200k. Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's highly variable. Some of it depends on geographic location, academic vs private practice, hours worked, track to partner if joining group, etc.

ER for example, can be run various ways. One can join a group and work x hours for x pay. One can work where you get a base pay plus a percentage of the income from the pts seen. Or, you can just work and get no base and a larger percentage of income from the pts seen.

Then some groups provide paid benefits, malpractice insurance and paid vacation while others offer nothing.

As you can see it is highly variable. The easiest way is to ask Sr Residents what types of jobs they are looking at when they graduate.

If you are asking because you want to base your career choice on income potential I would look into Derm, Plastics, Anesthesiology, Radiology, etc. But you must keep in mind that reimbursement is constantly changing. It is much safer to pick a career based on what you enjoy doing. Good luck.