Quick question for International Students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stroszeck

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if anyone can share some of the issues with access to healthcare in their own countries (ex. india, pakistan, iran, iraq...) to see why is it worth it for foreign trained dentists to try so hard to come to america? I'm not asking to be a jerk, i really am curious....is india for example a horrible country where dentists are treated poorly and not respected? Why do so many people want to practice dentistry in america instead of where they were originally from?

Members don't see this ad.

International dentists (easily 75% of this sub forum being Indians) are rich and love dentistry. Hence they want to attend school twice.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see if anyone can share some of the issues with access to healthcare in their own countries (ex. india, pakistan, iran, iraq...) to see why is it worth it for foreign trained dentists to try so hard to come to america? I'm not asking to be a jerk, i really am curious....is india for example a horrible country where dentists are treated poorly and not respected? Why do so many people want to practice dentistry in america instead of where they were originally from?

If you dig the root very very deeply, the reason why foreign dentists want to become dentists in America came from the british colonization of India 400 years ago. Without India, the history of western countries would have changed dramatically and the date for US became the richest country would have delayed many years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you dig the root very very deeply, the reason why foreign dentists want to become dentists in America came from the british colonization of India 400 years ago. Without India, the history of western countries would have changed dramatically and the date for US became the richest country would have delayed many years.

Great. This makes no sense.....now can some actual foreign dentists respond???

Hi,
Most of the people from India are medicos and dentists in their country where there is so much respect for this profession(though not very well paid).But for most of us our family(spouse)is here and we are not lazy to sit at home and watch tv and moreover Dentistry in US is more of perfection and organised.This is my view and I think we have more important issues to discuss!

International dentists (easily 75% of this sub forum being Indians) are rich and love dentistry. Hence they want to attend school twice.

I believe that not all Indian dentists are rich or are even remotely interested in attending dental school once again. I think the reason for many foreign trained dentists to shift bases to industrialized countries, is the appreciable return on investment. For eg, a recent Indian dental graduate is willing to work for a meager start salary of Rs. 1500/month working full time which is way too low than even a Janitor working part time in the US. This can hugely be attributed to the stagnation created by the unrestricted growth of substandard dental/medical institutions (I call them "Factories for Producing Dentists") in India which continued for many years before being halted recently. Some dentists might have higher/advanced education and professional growth inter-weaved into financial profits as a reason to come to US.

Last edited:
I can speak for India...it has no concept of insurance.People have to shell out money for the treatment from their pockets.The cost of the treatment is very minimal as compared to that of the USA,yet people cannot afford a crown.Therefore,dentists come here with dreams of having a better life.After all,USA is a land of opportunities.

India produces 24000 dentists a year.

some come to the US.

that 'some' seems a big number here but in India its just that - 'some'.

I can speak for India...it has no concept of insurance.People have to shell out money for the treatment from their pockets.The cost of the treatment is very minimal as compared to that of the USA,yet people cannot afford a crown.Therefore,dentists come here with dreams of having a better life.After all,USA is a land of opportunities.

WOW. That sucks....and now it makes sense! You'd think with such an exploding population they'd be able to have industry like China and start to get into technology Japan-style, especially cause lots of Indians (least the ones I've met) are super intelligent and very good with improving and dealing with technology. Yea i've never been to India in particular but i always wondered why they aren't a more 'rich' and well off country.

Let's keep this issue at individual level, Useless discussion is not going to help anyone here perform better in their objectives, anyways, it's none of your business!!

Last edited:
Yes, it is an interesting issue. Nobody should dictate us which questions to ask. I am white, Russian female,lived for 8 years in Canada, tryed to enter UBC unseccessfully several times.Got sick of canadian attitude to immigrants. Got PR of USA, got admitted to the university from the first time.Moved to USA.This is my story.
In my opinion, many people ether have families here or see getting an american diploma as a way to immigrate to USA.It is legal and nothing to be ashamed of.Chill.:)

Let's keep this issue at individual level, Useless discussion is not going to help anyone here perform better in their objectives, anyways, it's none of your business!!

As Youth correctly pointed out, this discussion is not going to help anyone achieve their objectives . I feel that this thread should not rise to the top especially when the objective of starting this thread is not noble (as evident from other related posts of the thread starter).
This forum has been of great help to many people and should be used for the same purpose rather than to attempt offending foreign trained dentists who have been and are working hard to achieve their goals in a legitimate way.

there is no harm in pursuing one's goals, some want to excel back home and some in foreign lands...both require courage and determination and it has got nothing to do with good or bad prospects back home. BTW, I think american universities are getting richer with the influx of foreign students and we all are supporting them in bad economy:laugh:

To fill out seats for International Dentist Program and boosting the US economy!!! :smuggrin:

As Youth correctly pointed out, this discussion is not going to help anyone achieve their objectives . I feel that this thread should not rise to the top especially when the objective of starting this thread is not noble (as evident from other related posts of the thread starter). This forum has been of great help to many people and should be used for the same purpose rather than to attempt offending foreign trained dentists who have been and are working hard to achieve their goals in a legitimate way.

Wow i honestly didn't start this to be insulting first of all....and second of all i don't think i've ever had "related posts" in which i was a jerk. If you guys want then just shut the thread, but i, along with other members of my practice, were randomly discussing the issue and wondering about it....again i value and enjoy working with people who come from different backgrounds and life experiences, including patients. Please do not view my question as a negative as it was definitely not meant in that way.

India is overpopulated, it is harder and harder to acheive a certain level of welth and safety.In my opinion, that is what all immigrants are looking for, when they are leaving their countries.When I decided to immigrate, I went to the best place, which was easiest to go to- Canada.Now I am in the USA.
People - be confident, why are you sooooo sensitive?You are coming to somebody's country in large numbers, be polite, explain yourself.I beleive I am a great asset to the USA.

You are coming to somebody's country in large numbers, be polite, explain yourself.I beleive I am a great asset to the USA.
Absolutely no need to explain to anyone. Going through immigration process legally, pursuing higher education and eventually working & paying correct taxes is an ASSET to a Nation's economy; Not to mention many many times better than border jumpers.

Time for some:
kool_aid_2.gif

LOL! That was hilarious...family guy style!

i agree with bombay BDS :))), that "some" seems to b huge number , come here to india and see the competition u will realize how competetive indian dentist can be , bt american dentist dont need to be unsecured , indian dentist well understand and do not take away their jobs !!

wow orcale ti ryskaya ??? ya zakonchil diplom v russi :))) ya iz indii