Quick Question: Ohio State or Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRIMER

God's Soldier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets say that I am admitted to Michigan States Osteopathic school (I've been waitlisted, but guaranteed a position for next year if I don't get off the wait list this year), and I am admitted to Ohio States Post Bac program (They just mailed me the app, and I am confident in my chances of getting in), which one would you guys choose. Ohio States Post Bac program (MEDPATH) offers guranteed admission upon successful completion and its a great school. MSUCOM is a great school (#4 primary care-I want to do family medicine). I would appreciate any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, lets say that I am admitted to Michigan States Osteopathic school (I've been waitlisted, but guaranteed a position for next year if I don't get off the wait list this year), and I am admitted to Ohio States Post Bac program (They just mailed me the app, and I am confident in my chances of getting in), which one would you guys choose. Ohio States Post Bac program (MEDPATH) offers guranteed admission upon successful completion and its a great school. MSUCOM is a great school (#4 primary care-I want to do family medicine). I would appreciate any comments.

I'm ususally not a fan of osteopathic med, nor was I a huge fan of MSU when I interviewed there with the CHM. But, if you are dead set on primary care and family medicine, and by dead set I mean no questios at all, I'd go with MSU. They lack a lot of research potential due to the fragmented community campus system, but if you want to do family med, it's absolutely perfect for you. OSU MD may technically be a better school, but I do not think it would be worth the 1-2 years of your life and the gobs of $.

The post bac program is only a year, and they give fee waivers for tuition and fees, and stipends. So it would not be a waste of money. But is going to a school that could probably prepare me equally as well for primary care worth waiting one year. Plus, if I don't get into MSUCOM this year, they offered me guaranteed acceptance for next year, which means I would have a year to waste. I am thinking why not waste that year away by taking those post bac classes and then entering a school (OSU) that may give me a lot more options not only with facilities and resources, but with world wide name recognition. But then again, if I get off of MSU's waitlist this year, should I just accept. Decisions, Decisions. But I feel blessed to have options. Oh, I have been admitted to Howard too. Thank you for comments though. I have a lot of praying to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you have to tell the post-bac program by? As far as waitlist movement etc., much of it doesn't stop until May and June anyways, so you should hopefully have a while to make your decision. Enjoy the holidays, an spend time in prayer, as well as talking with family and firends. Are you originally from Michigan?

what do you think of MSU CHM vs. OSU college of medicine do you think OSU would be worth all the extra money if i'm a Michigan resident not planning on doing primary care.

what do you think of MSU CHM vs. OSU college of medicine do you think OSU would be worth all the extra money if i'm a Michigan resident not planning on doing primary care.

I was very underwhelmed with MSU's school when I interviewed, especially the opportunity to do anything but primary are (I'm planning on it, but want the option). Just look at their mission statement to see where the resources at MSU will be allocated. But I'd hold off on maing a decision until Spring when Fin. aid is out.

I definitely wouldn't go to OSU if I was a Michigan resident. MSU is perfect if you want to do primary care.

I was very underwhelmed with MSU's school when I interviewed, especially the opportunity to do anything but primary are (I'm planning on it, but want the option). Just look at their mission statement to see where the resources at MSU will be allocated. But I'd hold off on maing a decision until Spring when Fin. aid is out.

How do you think MSU "limits" you and forces primary care?? They have the standard rotations, and you decide what out rotations you want to do. From working with the medical students, they don't think they are being pressured into any field.

Also, you mention a lack of research, what do you base this on? I'm currious about where you got this fact from? All the students I'm involved with are involved with research on some level depending on what they are interested in...then again I guess my students, for the most part, aren't focused on PC....there's so much research that I, as an undergrad, get to be published! (anecdotal...obviously)

How do you think MSU "limits" you and forces primary care?? They have the standard rotations, and you decide what out rotations you want to do. From working with the medical students, they don't think they are being pressured into any field.

Also, you mention a lack of research, what do you base this on? I'm currious about where you got this fact from? All the students I'm involved with are involved with research on some level depending on what they are interested in...then again I guess my students, for the most part, aren't focused on PC....there's so much research that I, as an undergrad, get to be published! (anecdotal...obviously)

As I said, it's much about the mission statement of the school. Standard rotations are standard indeed, but quality of each is not. I'm not saying there was no research whatsoever, but the fragmented community campuses don't seem condusive to providing a wide array of hospitals and faculty with which to do research, as most other schools do. I intend to do primary care, but looking at the match list and from the curriculum, physical set-up of the school, and amount of funding dollars, it doesn't seem like there are many options to do anythig else, just in case.

"Quick Question"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...you obviously haven't been paying any attention to what ends up happening on SDN

As I said, it's much about the mission statement of the school. Standard rotations are standard indeed, but quality of each is not. I'm not saying there was no research whatsoever, but the fragmented community campuses don't seem condusive to providing a wide array of hospitals and faculty with which to do research, as most other schools do. I intend to do primary care, but looking at the match list and from the curriculum, physical set-up of the school, and amount of funding dollars, it doesn't seem like there are many options to do anythig else, just in case.

http://www.grmerc.net/education/msuchm.html

check it out...I dunno, but out the 26 @ GR...three on their way to mayo, one anesthesiology, one path, and one IM isn't shabby. Yea there are a few on their way to FP, but I doubt UC Irvine sucks. Also, the several OB's on their way to Umich, Case and U Min (not sure about the strength of that program), seems like opportunity to have options exists.

Why do you feel that research dollars highly correlate to the ability to place into anything other than PC? From the general census of SDN it seems that board scores and rotation evals are what really matters...unless you're looking to go from PC to derm, neuro or a competative ROA spot.

http://www.grmerc.net/education/msuchm.html

check it out...I dunno, but out the 26 @ GR...three on their way to mayo, one anesthesiology, one path, and one IM isn't shabby. Yea there are a few on their way to FP, but I doubt UC Irvine sucks. Also, the several OB's on their way to Umich, Case and U Min (not sure about the strength of that program), seems like opportunity to have options exists.

Why do you feel that research dollars highly correlate to the ability to place into anything other than PC? From the general census of SDN it seems that board scores and rotation evals are what really matters...unless you're looking to go from PC to derm, neuro or a competative ROA spot.

Research dollars correlate to research, as I was trying to say previously. Wasn't saying that FM is the only, but there's a clear Primary Care slant. Chill man, I'm not trying to say that MSU is a horrible school and unfit for everyone, just not the best fit for me and thought I'd share why with the OP who asked for opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research dollars correlate to research, as I was trying to say previously. Wasn't saying that FM is the only, but there's a clear Primary Care slant. Chill man, I'm not trying to say that MSU is a horrible school and unfit for everyone, just not the best fit for me and thought I'd share why with the OP who asked for opinions.

Oh don't worry about it, I don't take online forums personally. I was just tryin to create some decent, two sided, discussion. You make good points, but obviously a lot of it...like all medical school ****...is personal decision/opinion.

I also haven't been able to make a decision about where to go.....maybe it'll hit me one night while I'm sleeping??? I guess it's a good thing to be a michigan resident and have so many schools.

It is very easy to become a resident of Ohio and thus if you did that option you could very likely be an Ohio Resident (meaning less tuition) either when you start med school or very soon therafter. Just something to consider that others have not brought up.

It is very easy to become a resident of Ohio and thus if you did that option you could very likely be an Ohio Resident (meaning less tuition) either when you start med school or very soon therafter. Just something to consider that others have not brought up.

Good point....it only takes a year, so you'd get instate at OSU for med....that's almost worth taking the year off and living for free

Why don't you let the committees decide for you? The MEDPATH program at Ohio only accepts 15 students...and who knows how many got the PBP application today....I know I did....therefore you can send it in...and just see if you are invited for an interview and if you are selected...There is no way for you to be 100% sure you will be selected for the Ohio State MEDPATH until you are selected...so just send in your application and wait it out...the good thing is you have MSU as a backup so even if you don't get into the OSU MEDPATH program....hypothetically speaking that is....you already have a space guaranteed for the year after next....so you are in a pretty good position either way. Congrats and best wishes!

P.S......why not ask in the osteopathic forum??? I mean this is about grad vs osteo right???

No it's not grad vs. DO.....

OSU MEDPATH leads to an MD degree while MSU leads to a DO degree....

Why don't you let the committees decide for you? The MEDPATH program at Ohio only accepts 15 students...and who knows how many got the PBP application today....I know I did....therefore you can send it in...and just see if you are invited for an interview and if you are selected...There is no way for you to be 100% sure you will be selected for the Ohio State MEDPATH until you are selected...so just send in your application and wait it out...the good thing is you have MSU as a backup so even if you don't get into the OSU MEDPATH program....hypothetically speaking that is....you already have a space guaranteed for the year after next....so you are in a pretty good position either way. Congrats and best wishes!

Wow, that's a lot of elipses. I guess my question to the OP is, have you been rejected from all other MD schools, including OSU? Is the post-bac thing or MDCOM your only possible options right now? Why didn't you just apply straight to OSU's MD program?

No, I have not been rejected by all other MD programs. I have been accepted at Howard, and I am expecting to interview at Wayne some time next semester. Also, I am still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools. I applied to OSU straight up and they recommended me to the med path program, which is fine with me. MSUCOM just happens to be one of my top choices. I don't really care about MSU CHM, I haven't been hearing many good things about them. Well, either way I appreciate all of the input, and I guess I can look at it this way, no matter what: I AM GOING TO BE A FREAKING DOCTOR!!!

keep in mind OSU OOS tuition isn't too much more than thier in-state, and it isn't difficult to get residency after a year there...

Primer,

I am sorry you were waitlisted at MSUCOM. From what I gather here, the timing for either school is the same and either way you won't lose money in your in-between year.

If you want to do primary care and you are willing to commit to osteopathy, why not take that year to travel and do some service somewhere? Go somewhere else in the country and look for opportunities that will make you grow as a person. I guess that what I am trying to say is, is that you will be studying hard core for the first two years of med school and will be busy years after that. Make your year off a blessing and live your life. :luck:

Thanks Andromeda,

I appreciate the advice. MSU is my #2 choice, but I have to remain open, and who knows, I may get off the waitlist this year. I am trying to remain optimistic. I have other acceptances (Howard), and I like my chances at a few other schools. I just like MSU a lot. Ohio State is really good too. Anyway, thank you for comments (everyone) Much appreciated.

has anyone who interviewed for osu's medpath heard anything yet?...when are we supposed to be notified???