quick question regarding background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xroc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, when I was 16 I was charged with a misdemeanor for damaging some guy's lawn because my car drifted in the snow while I was turning. There was basically a foot of snow on the ground everywhere and I did not even know I was actually on his lawn (stupid, I know). Either way, I know I was charged, but nothing ever came of it (I'm not sure whether it was dropped or what ended up happening, I just never ended up getting a court date).

Since I'm applying this upcoming cycle, I decided to do a state background check on myself. Sure enough, the misdemeanor comes up on my record as me being charged / having an arrest, but for the judicial segment of the check it says "No Data Received." So basically, there's nothing on there besides the charge/arrest. It does not say the case was dropped, just that there is "no data" for the court portion of the case.

So I decided to run a beenverified report just to make sure, and when that comes up, there is no history whatsoever of a misdemeanor.

My question is, when amcas asks for the misdemeanor convictions, should I answer no? If any schools ask in secondaries if I have ever been charged with a misdemeanor, I'm more than willing to answer yes and explain the ridiculous circumstances, but I did not want to answer the primary application wrong.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short, when I was 16 I was charged with a misdemeanor for damaging some guy's lawn because my car drifted in the snow while I was turning. There was basically a foot of snow on the ground everywhere and I did not even know I was actually on his lawn (stupid, I know). Either way, I know I was charged, but nothing ever came of it (I'm not sure whether it was dropped or what ended up happening, I just never ended up getting a court date).

Since I'm applying this upcoming cycle, I decided to do a state background check on myself. Sure enough, the misdemeanor comes up on my record as me being charged / having an arrest, but for the judicial segment of the check it says "No Data Received." So basically, there's nothing on there besides the charge/arrest. It does not say the case was dropped, just that there is "no data" for the court portion of the case.

So I decided to run a beenverified report just to make sure, and when that comes up, there is no history whatsoever of a misdemeanor.

My question is, when amcas asks for the misdemeanor convictions, should I answer no? If any schools ask in secondaries if I have ever been charged with a misdemeanor, I'm more than willing to answer yes and explain the ridiculous circumstances, but I did not want to answer the primary application wrong.

Thanks for any input.
If it asks about convictions, you have no convictions. Answer the question honestly and you will be fine. It doesn't ask about charges or arrests, so you are being 100% honest when you say no. If they ask about arrests/charges, honestly answer that question then.

x

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just answer honestly and you'll be fine. You were charged but never convicted.

Either way, your neighbor or whoever filed that charge against you is kind of a dick.