Quick question regarding shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been shadowing a DO fora few months. I plan to apply to DO school in addition to my state MD and a few other MD schools nearby ( due to low GPA I feel DOmaybe more realistic). I am wondering if on my AMCAS application I should list my DO shadowing? I will have about 75 hrs, he is a FP/OB physician. I also have about 30 hrs FP MD shadowing and 20 hrs surgery shadowing. This DO will be writing me a LOR to DO schools. I'm just worried I may need to get more MD shadowing and leave off this DO shadowing??

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should include it on your amcas. It seems like you've already shadowed MD so no worries. I think the more options you've explored and the more experience, the better.

I have been shadowing a DO fora few months. I plan to apply to DO school in addition to my state MD and a few other MD schools nearby ( due to low GPA I feel DOmaybe more realistic). I am wondering if on my AMCAS application I should list my DO shadowing? I will have about 75 hrs, he is a FP/OB physician. I also have about 30 hrs FP MD shadowing and 20 hrs surgery shadowing. This DO will be writing me a LOR to DO schools. I'm just worried I may need to get more MD shadowing and leave off this DO shadowing??
Include any and all physician shadowing. You don't need to worry about it being a DO. A DO is a physician.

Definitely do. I think it gets you a few points by knowing a DO is a physician and competent at that. Some of my fellow interviewees didn't even know what a DO was and it demonstrated a general lack of knowledge of the field.