quick question. which bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwtaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm picking my classes for this semester and i have a question concerning the bio sequence i need to take. i need 8 credits of bio, however, the 8 credit sequence at my school is general botany/general zoology. is this the correct sequence to take? the only reason i ask is because i remember reading somewhere that the botany class is undesirable. perhaps i am mistaken. set me straight!

Members don't see this ad.

Botany = plants?

Med school doesn't deal with plants?

But it's still 8 hours of bio so no one cares. It's all up to you. Most people just don't feel like taking a class they know they'll probably never use, or end up getting a B from lazyness.

Screw botany. Unless you really want to take it. Doesn't your school have a normal biology sequence? Such as cell bio/organismal bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you only need 8 credits of bio, take zoology and then an upper level class that uses zoology as a prereq. Skip the botany unless you like plants. Really, really, like plants.

Besides, if you take an upper level and rock it, you'll be that much better off than simply taking an intro class.

We're required to take Bot and Zoo at my school, and I hated botany..with a passion..plants are so boring. At least in zoo you get to do some dissecting. Wouldn't the 8 credits be general bio and zoology? If not then take zoo and an upper-level bio, something fun like histology or immunology.:)

From what I hear, the molecular biologies are generally best to take in undergrad.

As for botany...that has nothing to do with medicine, and you will get <i>so sick</i> of plants after the first few weeks.

I say stick to something that is either notably related to medicine, or is something you truly adore.

We're required to take Bot and Zoo at my school, and I hated botany..with a passion..plants are so boring. At least in zoo you get to do some dissecting. Wouldn't the 8 credits be general bio and zoology? If not then take zoo and an upper-level bio, something fun like histology or immunology.:)

I hated botany too. I still don't understand why it was necessary for us to memorize the life cycles (and be able to draw!) of different types of ferns. :barf:

I think some schools actually require that you have taken 2 semesters of bio, and that those two semesters included certain topics. I can't remember, but I'd look through a couple of med school websites. I think zoology might be one of the options, but I think cell and molecular bio might be another. Def not botany.

well my school has some pretty sparse offerings in the bio realm. if any of you have the time maybe take a look at the course descriptions and give me some suggestions as far as what sequences you'd take if you were in my shoes. i've checked out some med school websites and they arent overly specific about which bios to take. just need to cover some molecular and cellular stuff and of course 8 credits with lab. but i get the feeling the offerings at my school aren't typical of larger schools. i'm really avoiding doing the botany business because i have actually taken a botany course in my previous college life and f-cking hated it! (in case you were wondering this class only transferred as a 3 credit gen bio..so its almost useless for my purposes). take a look http://www.misericordia.edu/misericordia_pg_sub.cfm?sub_page_id=390&subcat_id=108&page_id=300
thanks for any help!

take neither bio class... zoology won't be any more relevant to med school preparation than botany.

...unless you think memorizing the latin names of rodents is worth your time, in that case, go for it.

I'd take micro/genetics/cell bio/a&p if they're not already one of your requirements..other than that how bout neuroscience or immunology

well my school has some pretty sparse offerings in the bio realm. if any of you have the time maybe take a look at the course descriptions and give me some suggestions as far as what sequences you'd take if you were in my shoes. i've checked out some med school websites and they arent overly specific about which bios to take. just need to cover some molecular and cellular stuff and of course 8 credits with lab. but i get the feeling the offerings at my school aren't typical of larger schools. i'm really avoiding doing the botany business because i have actually taken a botany course in my previous college life and f-cking hated it! (in case you were wondering this class only transferred as a 3 credit gen bio..so its almost useless for my purposes). take a look http://www.misericordia.edu/misericordia_pg_sub.cfm?sub_page_id=390&subcat_id=108&page_id=300
thanks for any help!

How many of these are you supposed to take? I would personally take anat/phys and molecular genetics if you could only pick 2. However, you'll end up using micro, neuro, histo, immuno, dev bio, and cell bio in medicine, so I would say to go with whatever you're most interested in, because that's probably where you'll get the best grade.