Quick Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rasajdak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are sophomores advised not to take the MCAT until their junior year?

Members don't see this ad.

rasajdak said:
Why are sophomores advised not to take the MCAT until their junior year?

You need to have completed the following courses before taking the MCAT, which is most likely not going to be completed until the end of the Junior year:

Physics 1 & 2
Biology 1 & 2
Gen. Chem. 1 & 2
O. Chem. 1 & 2
Genetics
1 other Biology (Preferaby Physiology)

---> Those that have not taken these courses will likely do much more poorly on the MCAT. That score will always be there when you submit other scores to the school.

OSUdoc08 said:
You need to have completed the following courses before taking the MCAT, which is most likely not going to be completed until the end of the Junior year:

Physics 1 & 2
Biology 1 & 2
Gen. Chem. 1 & 2
O. Chem. 1 & 2
Genetics
1 other Biology (Preferaby Physiology)

---> Those that have not taken these courses will likely do much more poorly on the MCAT. That score will always be there when you submit other scores to the school.

So if you did happen to have all of those courses under your belt, you could take it in, say, the August after your sophomore year without any problems?

I took it in the August after my sophomore year. I would highly recommend this if you've taken all those courses. I planned my schedule so I would and the advantage was having an entire summer to prepare when I didn't have a whole lot else going on. Also, I'm in my junior year now and am loving having that all over with and just being able to do the normal school thing right now.

Oh, and I dont' think genetics is absolutely necessary. I think there was a whole huge thread not too long ago asking if genetics was necessary. If you're highly motivated you can learn what's in review books with your intro texts to supplement. I'm not saying that a course in genetics wouldnt be really helpful though. I didn't have genetics or biochem and ended up doing just fine in the bio section. I did have two good courses in physiology which I know helped me out. But bottom line is even if you JUST have the prereqs I would still take it in August. Besides the advantages I already said, there's also the fact that if you don't do as well as you'd like you can take it in April, just like everyone else and studying will be way way easier since you've already done it once. Absolute WORST case you could take it 3x and STILL apply on time.