Quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Pedo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all---I'm a dentist so I don't know much about USMLE etc... Caught up on times with an old friend who is a 4th yr med student. He's someone I consider very bright but private. I asked what his future plans were and he said derm, but he'll find out later this year.
Bottom-line a couple of things I remember him saying that I have no idea what they mean.
1) AOA :?something to do with a honor society?
2) Part I boards: 259
3) told me he honored in derm and majority of 3rd yr rotations; however, was told several times that he needed to be more assertive and interactive
4) Hasn't published but does research

I came away feeling bad for him----he seemed concerned about things and so I wondered if perhaps his board scores wasn't as competitive for this field. I could search the threads but I would rather not try to decipher that of which I don't know. Like dentistry I'm sure numbers aren't the only component but is he being overly histrionic.
Thanks,
Dr. B

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.2b said:
Hi all---I'm a dentist so I don't know much about USMLE etc... Caught up on times with an old friend who is a 4th yr med student. He's someone I consider very bright but private. I asked what his future plans were and he said derm, but he'll find out later this year.
Bottom-line a couple of things I remember him saying that I have no idea what they mean.
1) AOA :?something to do with a honor society?
2) Part I boards: 259
3) told me he honored in derm and majority of 3rd yr rotations; however, was told several times that he needed to be more assertive and interactive
4) Hasn't published but does research

I came away feeling bad for him----he seemed concerned about things and so I wondered if perhaps his board scores wasn't as competitive for this field. I could search the threads but I would rather not try to decipher that of which I don't know. Like dentistry I'm sure numbers aren't the only component but is he being overly histrionic.
Thanks,
Dr. B

Feeling bad for him??? This guy is a superstar. But saving world from zits, is very competitive indeed. However, with these scores, he should definetly get in somewhere for derm. Numbers are big for derm, they won't even consider you unless you have boards over 240. But he should get at least several interviews with these scores. He is good to go.

Thanks Tupac,

Figures----I guess things haven't changed over the years with him----always downplaying things. Anyway just wanted to know----thanks

Man, i'm so jealous of those number...sigh