Quick Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dandelion123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I've heard that after shadowing a doctor you should ask for a LOR? Is this true? I am planning on asking the doctor I volunteer/intern for, but should I also ask the two doctors I'm planning on shadowing? One of the doctors is a close family friend who I'm sure would say very good things, but the only official experience I will have with her will be a week of shadowing.

2. If I've been involved in an EC since the beginning of high school, can I put the time spent in high school on my app, since it would show continuity, or do they prefer you to leave high school experiences out all together?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Some Premed committees might want you to provide a physician LOR, but most MD schools won't ask for one. many Do schools require one, however. If you want to have a letter on tap, just in case, I'd only ask the one with whom you had a long-term experience. Don't ask the family friend for a letter. If he/she makes reference to a longer relationship based on friendship, it casts doubt on the letter and it will be disregarded.

2. The only time HS experiences should be listed is if they continue into the college years (so you're fine there), you became an Eagle Scout, or you got a Nobel Prize.

I think it is a good idea to get a LOR from a physician. I got one from a guy that I volunteered with at two places and shadowed. His letter helped me greatly since he also graduated at my school and is heavily involved there too.

You can include the time from high school if the activity continued into college.

You can ask a physician for a LOR but in that case be prepared to have a resume, bibliography, and personal statement (in any form will do) if you don't feel really close to that person. This person really just has to be able to attribute good qualities and speak well about your character in and out of a clinical setting. Try to keep in touch and see if you can see shadow them/ visit them/contact them every now and then if only to let them know how you are doing.