Quick rant on waiting for IIs and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IT'S BEEN ALMOST THREE WEEKS AND I'VE HEARD NOTHING FROM ANY SCHOOL I'VE APPLIED TO.

It's gonna be a rough cycle, folks.

That is all

</rant>

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
isn't it just a bother, especially on count that this cycle allowed primaries to be sent earlier by 6 days or something? But seriously tho, you are golden. It's ppl like me that need to start worrying.

IT'S BEEN ALMOST THREE WEEKS AND I'VE HEARD NOTHING FROM ANY SCHOOL I'VE APPLIED TO.

It's gonna be a rough cycle, folks.

That is all

</rant>

I think somethings is wrong with your thread, you seem to be frustrated even though it says 'weeks' instead of 'months'.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today I got rejected from a school that I sent my secondary into on July 7th, 2015.

Reactions: 29 users
dude I feel ya, I compulsively check my email everyday and nothing... I'm terrible at waiting and already have severely started second guessing myself

Reactions: 1 user
It sucks. You can't sugar-coat it. It's a long and extremely stressful process. But when it's over, it's over. I wish you all the best!

Every time new emails pop up on my phone my heart drops. The other day I had an email with the subject "Your invitation from.." and I legit cried when it was an invite to ****ing Golden Key

Reactions: 11 users
omg, I spent the whole day literally staring at my phone and wiping away junk email (which was the only type of mail I received btw). What is my life?

Unless it's not over. And you go back on the merry go round. Nightmare fuel right there.
You don't have to tell me! My frustration and stress with applying has been well documented on this website. Keep your non pre-med friends close and try as much as possible to focus on other things. There will be bad days, that's just unavoidable. If you have a solid support system in place, it makes it a lot easier.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like the cycle could be a lot more efficient. Grad school/PA school/pretty much every other application process else is MUCH shorter. I realize our applicant pool is larger but ad coms could expand to expedite the process, and if our government invested in more medical schools (as it should, particularly due to shortage of PCPs), a larger range of schools would alleviate the cycle as well. I honestly think the length is the worst part.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to disagree. Medicine is a profession made worthwhile because of its competitive nature. I feel like applying a year in advance is definitely something they should try removing but I guess admissions have their own reason and it makes for thoughtful application. I sure would not want more medical schools at the expense of declining the respect for the profession. Just look at what pharmacy has turned out to be. Many DOs are currently expressing their dismay over satellite DO programs for this reason because the education isn't up to par with one that has established hospitals and academic centers on site.

84.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Three weeks??? Dude, for me it's been four years. Get out of your house and go bowling or something.

omg, I spent the whole day literally staring at my phone and wiping away junk email (which was the only type of mail I received btw). What is my life?

On the plus side, I have used this time to unsubscribe from a lot of junk mail lists that I normally just delete.

Reactions: 12 users
On the plus side, I have used this time to unsubscribe from a lot of junk mail lists that I normally just delete.
I wish I could but I can't. They are the only things now that fill me with hope when I see there are 8 messages waiting for my review. It's like any news from medical school is like striking the lottery then. I hope.

I wish I could but I can't. They are the only things now that fill me with hope when I see there are 8 messages waiting for my review. It's like any news from medical school is like striking the lottery then. I hope.

Haha. I am a graduate student at a university with a medical school. I nearly have a heart attack every time I get an email from X University, and then I open to hear about some student organization or that someone got robbed on campus or something :-/

Reactions: 1 users
I would have to disagree. Medicine is a profession made worthwhile because of its competitive nature. I feel like applying a year in advance is definitely something they should try removing but I guess admissions have their own reason and it makes for thoughtful application. I sure would not want more medical schools at the expense of declining the respect for the profession. Just look at what pharmacy has turned out to be. Many DOs are currently expressing their dismay over satellite DO programs for this reason because the education isn't up to par with one that has established hospitals and academic centers on site.

I don't think adding a few more medical schools will decline the respect of the profession. In fact, more are being added almost every year, which is especially great for our PCP and geriatrician shortage. Considering the Affordable Care Act and a growing elderly population that will be higher than ever before, we need more of these physicians. I did not mean that we should add 50 more schools (because if this were to happen I understand where you are coming from), I just wanted to comment on how whenever a new school is added, it alleviates the number of applicants at some schools (assuming people do not increase the number of schools they apply to). For example, NYMC has nearly 15,000 applicants. I guarantee you that there are many rejected applicants that would have been amazing physicians and additionally would have thrived at NYMC. Then again, maybe more people would apply if there were a few more schools.

Anyways, for the most part, the application process works, but I wish it were shorter than a year because this adds stress (some people are accepted as late as May/June) and it would help if there weren't as many schools with 10,000+ applicants.

P.S. I apologize for being circuitous in this comment; I am just as frustrated as everyone else but am hoping for the best for all of us! :)

I don't think adding a few more medical schools will decline the respect of the profession. In fact, more are being added almost every year, which is especially great for our PCP and geriatrician shortage. Considering the Affordable Care Act and a growing elderly population that will be higher than ever before, we need more of these physicians. I did not mean that we should add 50 more schools (because if this were to happen I understand where you are coming from), I just wanted to comment on how whenever a new school is added, it alleviates the number of applicants at some schools (assuming people do not increase the number of schools they apply to). For example, NYMC has nearly 15,000 applicants. I guarantee you that there are many rejected applicants that would have been amazing physicians and additionally would have thrived at NYMC. Then again, maybe more people would apply if there were a few more schools.

Anyways, for the most part, the application process works, but I wish it were shorter than a year because this adds stress (some people are accepted as late as May/June) and it would help if there weren't as many schools with 10,000+ applicants.

P.S. I apologize for being circuitous in this comment; I am just as frustrated as everyone else but am hoping for the best for all of us! :)
Certainly agree with your sentiment. Applying a year earlier puts so much stress to be finished with a lot of activities that need more time. I wish it was more like college admissions where people could take the MCAT as later as October or something, you know?

I feel that increasing medical schools is great but we shouldn't have to compete with people overseas as well for residencies when the number is not budging (and thankfully not because that would truly make the profession diluted in meaning). If there could be a process where US based graduates get first dibbs on application to residency and then the remaining seats were to be allotted to people who didn't take as much debt as us from outside, then the process would be understandably not as frustrating.

When will people learn that you could introduce another 100,00 medical graduates tomorrow and the number of physicians entering the workforce would stay the exact same as it is today...

and fyi
More medical schools = a bad thing

If you can accept that it's out of your hands you'll have a much more pleasant cycle. Save the stressing out for your first few exams in med school, when you can do something about it

Congress would rather just allow mid-level practitioners have a bigger scope of practice than add residency spots next year. Costs less time and less money. Especially how different big-name unions are fighting for it. I mean, as a congressman, would you rather let private hospitals take care of costs themselves with increasing pay AND increase scope to offset the physician shortage; or shuttle billions of $$$ out of taxpayers money to fund for more residencies? One would pick the latter. HOWEVER, because medical schools are being opened up all over, congress can say "Hey look! We're handling the problem already!" The public doesn't know how wrong this is, but that doesn't matter to congress.

People tend to not like doctors when they're healthy (vast majority think we're making a **** ton of money off of their pocket directly, we don't care, etc.) People have a huge appreciation for nurses. People would rather have nurses see increase in pay than giving doctors more money. Why? Because a doctor has a BMW and has affairs with smoking-hot models while the nurse works double overtime to make ends meet. Not saying this doesn't exist, but the exact opposite also exists; you won't see it with RNs, but a travelling CRNA can make upwards of $350k if you can get the right contract in the right part of the country.

Worrying is like a rocking chair; it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. How does flipping **** get you any closer to where you will be next summer/fall? Stress less; coping skills are few and far to come by.

Congress would rather just allow mid-level practitioners have a bigger scope of practice than add residency spots next year. Costs less time and less money. Especially how different big-name unions are fighting for it. I mean, as a congressman, would you rather let private hospitals take care of costs themselves with increasing pay AND increase scope to offset the physician shortage; or shuttle billions of $$$ out of taxpayers money to fund for more residencies? One would pick the latter. HOWEVER, because medical schools are being opened up all over, congress can say "Hey look! We're handling the problem already!" The public doesn't know how wrong this is, but that doesn't matter to congress.

People tend to not like doctors when they're healthy (vast majority think we're making a **** ton of money off of their pocket directly, we don't care, etc.) People have a huge appreciation for nurses. People would rather have nurses see increase in pay than giving doctors more money. Why? Because a doctor has a BMW and has affairs with smoking-hot models while the nurse works double overtime to make ends meet. Not saying this doesn't exist, but the exact opposite also exists; you won't see it with RNs, but a travelling CRNA can make upwards of $350k if you can get the right contract in the right part of the country.

Definitely was a shock when I moved to TX and started working at a hospital where CRNAs work completely independently. As in, there are no anesthesiologists at all.