Quick state ties question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christinehiki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my father is in the military and is stationed in Texas... does this qualify as state ties (enough to try to go through TMDSAS)?

Members don't see this ad.

So my father is in the military and is stationed in Texas... does this qualify as state ties (enough to try to go through TMDSAS)?

You have to use TMDSAS even if you are OOS to apply to Texas schools, but if your father is not a Texas resident then you will not qualify as a resident. If he is, then you will qualify as well.

You have to use TMDSAS even if you are OOS to apply to Texas schools, but if your father is not a Texas resident then you will not qualify as a resident. If he is, then you will qualify as well.

^^^yes. You use TMDSAS regardless.

What is your state of record? Did you go to a Texas high school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just meant to try to go to a Texas school since (correct me if I'm wrong) it's almost pointless if you're not a resident.

I did not attend high school in Texas, but my father has a house there (that he is renting) and a TX driver's license. I've visited him multiple times.

Hmm I don't think so OP.

Do YOU have a Texas Residence that you have lived at? Texas DL?

In comparison, my family owns property in Michigan, both of them have Michigan DLs, and I am a former resident of the state--but when I was a visiting student at UMich, I had to pay OOS tuition. I tried claiming in-state but they wouldn't budge.

Edit: Some might say you may try to claim your fathers residence as your primary home, but I personally think it might be a tricky thing as your transcript/story might not add up. Also theres if you get caught lying trying to gain residence--that would be frowned on I think.

Hopefully someone can correct me.

Your best bet is to call TMDSAS directly.

Last edited:
Look into Texas rules for residency and military members. Lots of states treat military members like state residents for things like admissions, tuition, etc even if they aren't residents by other criteria. Not all may, but Texas strikes me as a pretty mil-friendly state. Whether this applies to you as a dependent is not clear.

Look into Texas rules for residency and military members. Lots of states treat military members like state residents for things like admissions, tuition, etc even if they aren't residents by other criteria. Not all may, but Texas strikes me as a pretty mil-friendly state. Whether this applies to you as a dependent is not clear.

My father is definitely a TX resident but you're right: I don't know if that necessarily helps me as a dependent.

Hmm I don't think so OP.

Do YOU have a Texas Residence that you have lived at? Texas DL?

In comparison, my family owns property in Michigan, both of them have Michigan DLs, and I am a former resident of the state--but when I was a visiting student at UMich, I had to pay OOS tuition. I tried claiming in-state but they wouldn't budge.

Edit: Some might say you may try to claim your fathers residence as your primary home, but I personally think it might be a tricky thing as your transcript/story might not add up. Also theres if you get caught lying trying to gain residence--that would be frowned on I think.

Hopefully someone can correct me.

Your best bet is to call TMDSAS directly.

Yeah probably not a good idea to lie about what state I lived in. I'll call TMDSAS tomorrow :)

Thank you all for answering my questions!

Look, there's a huge difference between "ties to the state" and "state residency". I got an II at one of the most OOS-unfriendly schools in the US because my fiancé and his family are from there and (with the exception of my fiancé, sister-in-law, and father-in-law who went ivy) are all alumni of the undergrad - (2 brother-in-laws, 2 nieces and 2 nephews). I myself have ZERO blood ties to that state.

It's really how you sell it. You can definitely claim TIES to the state of TX, but not residency. Ties are better than nothing, but it doesn't beat residency in the grand scheme of things.

I admit I find state ties confusing myself. I've lived in 9 different states over the course of my life, and think I could make plausible claims of state ties in two states (family and friends in Maryland + years of living there, parents used to own land in Colorado + lived there for three years), and a very strong claim to RI - lived there for 11 years, family in Providence, etc if I applied to Brown. But because I've lived so MANY places I find myself wondering how strong any of my ties are. I hope some of 'em are plausible, though, because I live in California now... :rolleyes:

If your dad claims you as a dependent on his taxes and he will have been living in Texas for one year prior to Oct 1 of the year you apply, you can claim Texas residency. If he doesn't claim you as a dependent, then no.

or this:
(h) A member of the United States Armed Services whose Home of Record with the
military is Texas is presumed to be a Texas resident, as are his or her spouse and dependent
children. A member whose Home of Record is not Texas but who provides the institution Leave
and Earnings Statements that show the member has claimed Texas as his or her place of
residence for the 12 consecutive months prior to enrollment is presumed to be a Texas
resident, as are his or her spouse and dependent children.