Quicken or Money and why...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently my credit card and my money market through CapitalOne only work on Quicken.

All my other investments and accounts work through both.

MSNmoney is significantly cheaper.

Thoughts? I dont really have much of a choice unless I dont intend on importing my CapitalOne stuff into the software.

Members don't see this ad.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Apparently my credit card and my money market through CapitalOne only work on Quicken.

All my other investments and accounts work through both.

MSNmoney is significantly cheaper.

Thoughts? I dont really have much of a choice unless I dont intend on importing my CapitalOne stuff into the software.

Check out this link:

http://www.capitalone.com/bank/services/online/?id=natlOnce

It states that capitalone supports both quicken and Microsoft Money. Anyways I haven't used quicken, but Microsoft Money works great and I enjoy it a lot. It is very easy to use and track your spending and prints great reports.

Yeah, I tried that previously, and you are right, it does say it should work, but it doesnt :(

Members don't see this ad :)
money has a cleaner interface and understands complex investment transactions more than quicken does. you can use money's synchonization feature (that uses like the yodlee engine or something) to download your capitalone or anything where you can go to a website and login. i switched from quicken, and have been pretty happy so far.

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I read through some reviews (like on Amazon) and a lot of people were complaining about the new proprietary file format with Quicken and screwing over backward compatability. Don't get any version of Quicken 2006; wait till the 2007 version.

Money might have a prettier start page, but I'm leaning toward Quicken right now since it seems to be more technical and have a lot more features. I do like Money's "bars" or whatever where it shows you how deep into your budget you are.

Still undecided. Gonna wait a few months.

I use Quicken Premier 2006 and love it.

The best advice would be to try both Money & Quicken and see which you like better. When I bought a computer in 2001, I had free Basic versions of both programs. I used both for two months and decided to go with Quicken. I can't give a specific reason other than I just liked the layout and "feel" of the Quicken better than Money. It all comes down to personal preference.

I purchased my last two versions of Quicken (Deluxe 2004, Premier 2006) on eBay for less than $20 each.