1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

quicky...take you a second to answer!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dr. Kulkarni, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Dr. Kulkarni

Dr. Kulkarni Member
    7+ Year Member

which school is better:

pittsburgh or temple

just state which one, don't 'have' to say why if you don't have time! :oops:)

thanks

- kulkarni

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. juan7677

juan7677 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Which school is better for what? Academics, sympathetic professors, clinical studies, board passing rates, tuition, geography, nightlife, scholarships, class size, accepting out-of-state students, student body diversity, reputation, government grants, research, etc., etc.?

Tell us what you are looking for and we'll tell you what we are thinking.

5. Dr. Kulkarni

Dr. Kulkarni Member
    7+ Year Member

hey gavinc, how are you?

more specifically...

Academics
    clinical studies
    board passing rates
    thanks.

6. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

7. Viraj

Viraj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

8. alexii

alexii Member
    7+ Year Member

I can't see how Pitt can be any better than Temple.

Please explain why Pitt is better?

Thanks

9. EAK27

EAK27 Member
    7+ Year Member

I am totally voting TEMPLE!!! I think that Temple is better because, going on Gav's criteria:

rep- Im a philly girl, and I have met numerous temple dentists, they are competant, confident and do excellant work, have NEVER had a problem, speaks for it self

Academics-according to my dental school bible, temple has better academic, and PAT averages but a lower GPA by 0.16. Specialization-wise Pitt has more specialties, however I don't think the need is as great as in N philly, so you will have less experiance

diversity- OH MY GOSH temple. if you mean class wise I say temple, you say philly, YEAH temple.

$ mooolah- my asda book says pitt is cheaper for out of state, BUT its wrong, temple is 33,678 out and 24,370 in (tuition) pitt is36,630 out and 25,170 in

class size- temple is 125 pitt 80

geography- weird catagory gav, pitt has great mountains if you like that kinda thing. Is an city build by the steel mills so is old and there is a lot of metal and warehouses, pretty much like all of Northern PA if you have been there. Industry left the area and it looks like it. However, the mountains are great, the real estate is cheap, and it snows a bunch. OUtside the city it is rural. But ohio isn't far away.
    Temple, I am a philly girl but Ill be honest, temple is in N philly, it is run down, and not pretty, HOWEVER it is bumpin place there are people everywhere, not just college kids. Philly area is diverse, there are farms suburbs downtown, the beach is not far and niether are the mountains. ideal location and not nearly as cold as Pitt.

don't know about scholorships, accepting out of state, although I think that they both are on par since niether are totally state funded, when i visited though I thought that Pitt had mroe in staters, at least those I spoke with. Board passing rates NOPE,

Gov grants/ research- tossup here, both do research, both are on an allied sciences campus I don't think there is a huge difference. BUT Pitt's new dean is pushing for more research so im going with Pitt, Temple is clinical and there is minimal research available and thats how they like it. Want research I would go Pitt. U penn is the research buff of Philly

Night Life- I have never gone out , like to the bars, in Pitt. However I have some friends from there and just love it. Say there is always something to do. remember there are a bunch of colleges in the area, and always have fun. Philly I think is the same. It is a bigger city so I am betting that there is more to do. We have a bigger theater district I know that for sure. night club wise, I like philly there are a bunch and all are pretty centrally located to eachother. there is a college scene and you pretty much know where they hang out. Both have heavy student pop's, but I know that philly people like to GO OUT! And sporting events are no exception. Plus you are only 1 1/2 from New York so there is a world of oppurtunity there also, and like and hour from atlantic city.

last one, professors- both places I got the vibe that the profs love what they do. I was told that pitt will do all but take your tests for you to help you out. I think that temple is more students helping students, at least that how my friend says it is.

I think that should count as way more than one post, but those are my repsonses, I hope that they help you out, and you don't think that I bashed Pitt. I liked it out there a lot but I like philly better. I personally rank temple over pitt as do peeps I know but it is purely your own opinion as both schools are great.

did you interview at either school and where have you applied??
    if you want more info Im here,ttyl
    LIZ

PS- sorry if my spelling is bad, I type like crap sometimes

:D

10. AcidETCH

AcidETCH UPENN SDM '07
    7+ Year Member

Which of the 2 is better in terms of clinical training? I know that Temple is very big on clinical experience, but I don't get a real sense of UPITT's stance is.

AE

11. EAK27

EAK27 Member
    7+ Year Member

Im going to go with Temple on this. the area around temple is very needy and LOADED with patients, in addition temple provides LOW cost health care to these people, Pitt, does not have such a diverse population of people so it is limited there, also in addition their costs are similar to that of the dentists in the community and that doesn't give the community a real incentive to come to Pitt for their clinics. Also when I was there there were NO patients around, well like a couple,but Temple was swarming with patients seriously swarming. I definitly got the impression that temple was better clinically

12. Dr. Kulkarni

Dr. Kulkarni Member
    7+ Year Member

which is better for specializing?

13. EAK27

EAK27 Member
    7+ Year Member

i think that temple will give you more oppurtunities to see cases with in a field of specialization, meaning you can take electives so that if you just want to do endo you will just do endo. Pitt offers more specialization programs though

14. dannybighead

dannybighead Junior Member

Pitt

I go to school here currently, and I love it.

But if you're looking for a better Dental School I couldn't tell you. From the way everyone talks, I would say they are about the same. You really need to talk to current students at each school to see what they think about their experiences.