Quinnipiac Netter SOM vs. Hofstra Zucker SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayMoney123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got accepted to both these schools, and I am really torn about what to do. I know Hofstra is slightly better ranked, but Connecticut has the opportunity to study medical cannabis, which is a field I really forsee myself getting involved in, and one that I really want to contribute to. (my passion?), whereas these opportunities don't exist on long island. I put together a pros and cons list, so if you all could give me any input it would really be appreciated

Hofstra: CoA ~83k
pros:

-Northwell Health is a dope health system.
-slightly higher ranked.
-Up and coming school
-Fire match list (9/10)
-small-group PBL focused curriculum
-work as an EMT your first year which is awesome
-has internal research oppurtunities

Cons:
-Have to drive to clinical training sites.
-I got in off the waitlist, so I missed second look and have no friends/living arrangements

Quinnipiac: CoA 85k
pros:
-
Connecticut has medical cannabis research oppurtunities. this is actually considerably important to me
-Already have a great group of friends, and future roommates. I really vibed with all the people at quinnipiac.
-Faculty showed a great consideration for student wellness/mental health/comfort.
-Also an up and coming school, and also very progressive.
-Also a great match list (8.5/10)
-Also focuses on small group curriculum

cons:
-also have to drive to clinical training sites
-Affiliated hospital system not as strong as Hofstra
-No internal research, BUT Yale is right next door, and many quinnipiac students research there

Members don't see this ad.

Imo Hofstra's upward trend and consistent punching above its weight class in matching might give it the edge academically. Other than that, I think the important factors here are cost (how do total COA compare?), curriculum (will you do better with PBL or traditional lectures?), and location (proximity to support systems? more importantly NY style pizza or New Haven style apizza?????)

Side note - I understand your trepidation about not having a friends circle at Hofstra, but many students will be in your same shoes when orientation rolls around. You will most certainly find your people wherever you go.

Hey! So interestingly enough, I was in the same exact position as you were last year. I ultimately ended up choosing Zucker for many of the reasons you listed and because I have strong connections to the health system (basically grew up around the area and dad has privileges at both teaching hospitals). I know you're concerned about finding roommates but know that you're not the only one looking for people to live with. Our FB group has a roommate survey and a housing document and most people don't run into problems finding someone to live with. Other things to keep in mind is our small class size that is very tight knit and close because of mandatory large and small group sessions, and the point about NYC pizza as mentioned by @sss1219 (can't ever go wrong with NYC pizza). Zucker is also a short train ride away from the city (~35 min) and many people go on weekends to hang out. If you have any other questions, let me know; I'll try to reply as soon as I can. Hope to see you this fall!