Quinnipiac (Netter) vs Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdyotz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quinnipiac/Frank Netter SOM (349k COA total)

Pros:

- Recorded lectures
- Surprisingly strong match lists for a newer school with a variety of locales and pretty much every specialty
- Awesome interview day with great faculty, admissions, and students (Does an interview day really matter in regards to choosing a medical school though?)
- New and beautiful facilities
- I actually like the rural feel as I hate driving in traffic and would rather drive 30 minutes on open roads than 20 minutes in traffic to go 5 miles. Although those poorly designed highways in Connecticut using stop signs and no merge entrance/exit lanes are a pain.
- Smaller class size (90-100)
- Beautiful area. I have not lived in the Northeast before, so it would be an opportunity to experience a new locale.
- MeSH program gets hands-on primary care interactions every week throughout pre-clinical
- The pre-matriculation program seems helpful to kick my old ass into gear, however, it could be canceled due to COVID-19.
- It seems like some interdisciplinary functions with other medical professions in the same building.
- True Pass/Fail for pre-clinical. H/HP/P/F for clinical.

Cons:
- No affiliated hospital or residencies (yikes)
- 45-minute drives to clinical sites / MeSH
- Expensive tuition (pending financial aid information)
- No true research opportunities. Granted I don’t have a research background, but it would be beneficial for the match.
- Newer program/less well known
- Further drive to the airport (minor con)
- Only 50% of exams are NBME questions, however, with Step 1 P/F this likely is less helpful. They currently have no plans for if the curriculum will change due to P/F.

Neutral:
- Faculty only teach, they are not clinicians or researchers. This likely results in better quality instruction, but without the current clinical practice background and limited access to research.
- There may not be as much to do in the area (outside of 1.5-2 hour drives to major cities), but it does have an associated university with entertainment opportunities (watch sports, additional student groups/extracurriculars/intramural/etc)

Eastern Virginia Medical School EVMS (245k COA total)

Pros:

- As a vet, I get in-state tuition (huge savings of ~26k a year over Netter - still pending financial aid information at both places)
- More established program
- I really enjoyed the current students and the few faculty that I spoke with
- Strong ultrasound and standardized patient programs within the first week.
- NBME test questions are 100% of the exams…. Which likely will matter less that Step 1 will be P/F.
- More opportunities in free clinic vs Netter's once per month
- Children's hospital is awesome.
- Beach nearby as well as more things to do with a larger population.
- Recorded lectures
- UWorld included in the tuition
- Pass/fail. H/HP/P/F for clinical.

Cons:

- Only slightly better research opportunities
- The interview day was weird. We were left alone waiting in the hall for tour guides to show up. I’m hoping medical school is not run the same way.
- Slightly larger classes at ~150.
- Match list is more east coast (I don't really know where I want to live, so not a huge deal), which is likely self-selecting due to being a public school vs Netter being private.

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago (I’m used to cold) and currently live in Phoenix. So neither one is near any support network. I enjoyed the interview day at Quinnipiac more, but I feel that EVMS would offer more opportunities. I’m still waiting for 1 decision and I am on 4 waitlists, so things may change. Currently, I think financial aid will likely be the decider, but I was hoping to hear what you all think. Also, P/F step 1 seems like it will favor institutions that have residencies and I don’t believe many of the clinical sites for Netter have associated residencies. Both are more focused on primary care and I am leaning to specializing. Both are 2-year pre-clinical programs using organ systems with EVMS also using some PBL. Neither requires attendance.

Edit: No financial aid outside of federal loans from Netter, so I withdrew.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
EVMS is the better program and $100k cheaper. Take interview day “vibes” with a grain of salt. Head to the beach!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.