Quit Pod school 2 years ago, making more than the dean and most podiatrists today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDontHaveAnyFeet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped out of Pod school 2 years ago and have never been happier with my decision.

Since dropping out:
1) I cleared the little debt I had from my time in Pod school
2) Earned (one class away) a masters degree
3) Held three different jobs including the one I have now
4) Lived in 2.5 major cities
5) Got the respect I was looking for

About two years ago I was drooling over the idea of dropping out of med/pod school. But I had several emotions holding me back. Spending 4 years in undergrad taking courses directed towards becoming a physician... telling my entire family I was going to become a doctor... the money I had spent on tuition. I kept it secret because I was embarrassed. The false yet toxic ideology of the premed student, quitting is considered failure, was ingrained into my head.

Well now that its all gone:
1) Living rural is not fun
2) Having debt linger over you for years is not fun either
3) There are plenty of other ways to make money
4) You should hold yourself under high esteem and self respect
5) Throwing away your twenties for a broken system is not worth it.

My grades as a teen/early college student will never matter again, I am being paid to learn, the work impacts millions, and most importantly I have plenty of time to myself (this year) to enjoy the luxuries I have been working hard for.

Overall I think Podiatry is a terrible avenue with limited scope and low esteem. I interned in sales last summer and quickly realized that the dean's of students at these podiatry schools are salesmen/women nothing more, nothing less. The manipulation of salary statistics, the false promises of a "dynamically developing field", their carefully worded admissions letters to make you feel like you (r tuition money) are a deeply sought after unique individual in the school are really just tactics to keep their careers live. Before you dive into 7 years of misery, debt, and regret, do yourself a favor and consider avenues outside of medicine. You won't regret it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
A lot of what you say is true. The debt to income ratio plus the time investment isn't worth it for a majority of people. A lot of prepods probably underestimate how challenging the schooling is. However, the field is truly what you make of it and some pods do very well for themselves. Also for all the prepods reading this after looking at your posting history it seems like you never got beyond 1st year. You probably failed out and got weeded out like 15-20% of the field. look, i'm not saying you're lying about making over $300k just after failing out. sure, maybe you are. but that would be pretty rare and you should add that context to your thread.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of what you say is true. The debt to income ratio plus the time investment isn't worth it for a majority of people. A lot of prepods probably underestimate how challenging the schooling is. However, the field is truly what you make of it and some pods do very well for themselves. Also for all the prepods reading this after looking at your posting history it seems like you never got beyond 1st year. You probably failed out and got weeded out like 15-20% of the field. look, i'm not saying you're lying about making over $300k just after failing out. sure, maybe you are. but that would be pretty rare and you should add that context to your thread.

Yeah no prob man.
I'm a software developer. I work for the second highest paying unicorn and live in Seattle. It's all good though because everyone out of college here makes a pod salary from day 1.
Your thought process is quite concerning but not surprising. Medical school is not challenging and medical students are not intelligent either. Memorization may put one under the illusion that they are intelligent. It wasn't until I started my masters in ml that I realized how conceptually easy medicine is.

If youre interested or want to know more feel free to send me a PM!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Medical school is not challenging and medical students are not intelligent either. Memorization may put one under the illusion that they are intelligent. It wasn't until I started my masters in ml that I realized how conceptually easy medicine is.

Says the guy that "dropped" out :rolleyes:
It's ok to vent but don't give out misinformation here.

Reactions: 8 users
Good for you. I sometimes think a lot of people go into medicine or at least premed due to a lack of imagination. There's more to life than lawyer, doctor, engineer. Everybody in this thread needs to drop the getting defensive junk. Something along the lines of 100 people or more move on every year. I wish the best to them. He's apparently done so successfully. At some point he or his family will need medical care and perhaps the doctor won't seem like such a dullard then. When I see your targeted advertisements to me I will think of you nofeet. GL.

Reactions: 1 users
i wasn’t being defensive I actually validated a lot of what he said in that podiatry isn’t something you should choose based on money. The guy just sounds like a bitter troll from the posting history. Also medical school not being challenging kind of does ruin any credibility he already never had

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah no prob man.
I'm a software developer. I work for the second highest paying unicorn and live in Seattle. It's all good though because everyone out of college here makes a pod salary from day 1.
Your thought process is quite concerning but not surprising. Medical school is not challenging and medical students are not intelligent either. Memorization may put one under the illusion that they are intelligent. It wasn't until I started my masters in ml that I realized how conceptually easy medicine is.

If youre interested or want to know more feel free to send me a PM!

Good luck man

i wasn’t being defensive I actually validated a lot of what he said in that podiatry isn’t something you should choose based on money. The guy just sounds like a bitter troll from the posting history. Also medical school not being challenging kind of does ruin any credibility he already never had
Love it, stay salty my friend. Let me know if you need any donations for your ramen fund

Amazing how bitter you are. Like I said, podiatrists and physicians aren't top dog. Its just a fact you will have to accept. Enjoy the loans my man. Glad your homies with the extra chromies are here to help you feel better about yourself.

I was being serious. This isn't healthy behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.