This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
have any of you guys done MCAT tutoring?
No, I totally should though. At least that's more interesting then pre calc

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did it with a highschool buddy/fellow premed! He's now an M1. I ended up making 3 life long friends that I met along the way, one of which asked me to be a groomsman at is wedding last year!

It's such a social experience.

It ended up costing about 1000$/month including lots beer (when available), food, and a hostel every now and then.

Social experience even if you were to go alone? That's my biggest concern I think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Social experience even if you were to go alone? That's my biggest concern I think.

If you go NOBO sometime in March or April, 50+ thru-hikers start every day. You wouldn't be alone unless you wanted to be. SOBO or flip-flop hikes you might be more on your own.

...Supposed to get down to 5F tonight, perfect chance to test out my sleeping gear in the back yard!

If you go NOBO sometime in March or April, 50+ thru-hikers start every day. You wouldn't be alone unless you wanted to be. SOBO or flip-flop hikes you might be more on your own.

...Supposed to get down to 5F tonight, perfect chance to test out my sleeping gear in the back yard!

Gurby is correct. Even if you go alone, during peak season about 50 people per day begin an attempt to thru hike NoBo at springer, so you have to try pretty damn hard if you wanna be alone. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you're looking to get out of it. Although, It definitely starts to thin out around Virginia and Pennsylvania and continues to thin out all the way to Maine. 2014 stats showed about 20% of people who set out to complete a Thruhike actually finish it, but this also includes yellow blazers that claim a "Thruhike". I'd say the actual number is between 10-15%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Bump.

I'm on a 2+ hour hold on whether or not my job is even necessary today. Even though I know I have every right to go home, I can't until I get non-conflicting information from my manager. My manager and their manager is out on vacation today. The entire department is also out on vacation today. On-call's aren't picking up their phones...

:boom::boom:
I feel your pain. I used up all my PTO on interviews, so I had to come in to work today. I'm LITERALLY the only person in the building. A security guard keeps checking in on me to see if he can lock up yet.

Last edited:
I was all gung-ho to quit at the start of Feb, but it's looking more like I'll be sticking around... Need to take OChem2 for a number of my top choices, so if I'm tied down here and not hiking I may as well keep piling up money. I'm sure future-me will thank me when it comes time to do residency interviews, if I want to upgrade my computer at some point, go on a fancy vacation, etc.

Quitting probably last week of April first/week of May. Hopefully I will be working 60+ hours per week and pay off all credit cards by that time and then have some left over to travel a bit or destroy my brain with netflix until med school destroys me

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just took my rage out on a totinos mini pizza.

Last edited:
I'm going to quit probably some time in February. Kind of burned out from my low paying scribe job. Definitely going to travel the US. Maybe I'll consider short term tutoring positions.

Probably going to quit in february as well. I like the job but the hours stink and I always have to do 12 hour shifts. People are nice enough and I don't mind the dirty (literally) work much. I'm glad I have this job though, it really showed me the breadth of jobs in healthcare and all of the important cogs in place to make the hospital run smoothly. Also, nurses make much much more money that I ever expected.

Just curious when all recently accepted students are planning on quitting their jobs. I constantly debate the point of trying to lessen my inevitably enormous sum of debt before medical school starts. I want to leave, travel, and enjoy my year, but I need the money. Feels bad

Thoughts?
I just landed a great gig in a private practice (good connections) that I am possibly interested in...plus it pays $20/hr. I will work here until June/August. I want to go into medical school with no credit card debt or other personal debt.

Wish I could take out some med school loan money right now, instead of waiting 'till the summer, and pay off the balances on my cards and be done with it. Thennnnn I could quit. Until then, there's no leaving apparently.

I'm quitting my job as a scribe and working as an MCAT tutor over the next 4-5 months - it really is good money and allows so much free-time - I make more money working as a tutor for 2 hours every day then I do working full time 8 AM -5 PM as a scribe.

Planning on quitting my job mid-May, so that I can have at least half a month to decompress and not do anything until some major traveling starts in June.

Just letting y'all know out there, including and especially you, @Huggy, that you can travel most of the world for very, very little.

As an American, you can fly to the beach in Australia tomorrow, work for $20/h minimum Australian wage as a waiter, and bum around the island for months on end.

If you don't have a family to provide for, you can easily just backpack the world or your favorite continent. Go ahead. Not going to have another chance to do it.

Everything from couchsurfing to hotshowers can be used to get to know new people, see new places, and do so for next-to-no money.
Are than any resources/information you know of to back this up? Cause God I would love to just go work as a bartender somewhere for the next few months and chill out. I would just really need some information on this before I'd ever commit to something like that.

I have heard of someone who went to the Bahamas and just became a bartender and enjoyed himself for like half a year.

Decided today that I'll be quitting my job at the very end of April. Right after, at the beginning of May I will be traveling to Central Europe for a few weeks. Then come back to the US, get an apartment in my new city, and then come back home and spend the next month and a half with my family, friends, and the beach
This is likely what I'll end up doing. My parents complain about a 2 week Euro trip costing ~$5-8K but I don't really care. What's the difference in $200K in debt and $192-195K debt? I'd rather be able to enjoy doing a travelling trip while I'm still young.

Are than any resources/information you know of to back this up? Cause God I would love to just go work as a bartender somewhere for the next few months and chill out. I would just really need some information on this before I'd ever commit to something like that.

I have heard of someone who went to the Bahamas and just became a bartender and enjoyed himself for like half a year.
check out workaway.info
i spent two months in south america and only paid for my plane ticket.

Google: work holiday visa Australia.

Anyone have experience doing a Work visa? I mean do you actually accrue more money or basically just break even/loss money slowly?

Yeah good luck building a client base though. It's a ton of legwork.
Forreal. Could only get around 15 hours a week when I tutored. Also driving to houses and back takes up your time.

I am resigning beginning of March, gonna take a ski trip and vacation around/relax for a few months.

Gotta love getting reprimanded for giving too much of a **** about patients.

Serenity now!

We're going to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest which are all very cheap. Transportation (bus from Prague to Vienna and train from Vienna to Budapest) is cheap (19 euros each trip) and of short duration (under 3 hours) Hotels are cheap as can be also.

I highly suggest Central Europe after doing research on where to go over the past several months. Southeast Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, South Vietnam, Laos, etc.) work well also.

I'll be saving up as much as possible beforehand and then taking out credit. I'll pay off the extra credit with loans once I receive them.

Look into Nepal too. 4 star hotels are dirt cheap.

We're going to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest which are all very cheap. Transportation (bus from Prague to Vienna and train from Vienna to Budapest) is cheap (19 euros each trip) and of short duration (under 3 hours) Hotels are cheap as can be also.

I highly suggest Central Europe after doing research on where to go over the past several months. Southeast Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, South Vietnam, Laos, etc.) work well also.

I'll be saving up as much as possible beforehand and then taking out credit. I'll pay off the extra credit with loans once I receive them.
This is interesting. I'll have to look into this. Do you have any safety concerns with these areas? I've heard a lot of people talk about now is not the best time for a Euro trip. I really want to see Germany more than anything, but I've been advised that may not be the best place to be right now.

Get. Me. OUT.

Reactions: 3 users
They just hired my replacement for April 17th, my final day is April 30th. Cannot wait
I can't until early August. Late July maaaaaybe

This is my last week working full time! Right now I'm super excited, but I bet I will probably go insane within a couple of weeks. I honestly can't remember the last time I had nothing I needed to do!

FINISHED TODAY WOO

These past few weeks have been rough trying to transition a whole new set of workers so I'm very happy that I am done. Now I just need to find something to occupy my time until school starts

Help me

I would quit but I still have to pay rent :(

Reactions: 6 users
Meanwhile my boss is asking me to find a way to work remotely during med school...o_O

Quiting my jobs this month and going to EU Mid June-July!
If anyone wants to join me backpacking EU message me! :)

37 days, 40 till Europe.....if I have to keep dealing with New Jersey transit I may not make it that long.

I wish I could quit.. I have rent + bills to pay.. may'be taking a trip before to Miami before I start though.

Quitting this Saturday! Super stoked! Fast food sucks.

Reactions: 4 users
Trying to figure out when to quit...I'm in a flexible field and I'd like to be done at the end of May so I can hike and camp in June and go to Europe in July....but my boss just offered me 8k if I extend my contract and work 4 weeks in June. How the hell do I justify saying no to that??

You will likely make many 8ks in your medical career but will unlikely have a two month vacation in the next 40 years...best justification. Buuuut, if you need the money, just take the job.

Anybody else planning to work until week before orientation?

Gotta get as much $$$$ as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.