Quitting a graduate degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam007sam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the second year of my grad degree. I applied for September 2013 entry into several Ontario Canada medical schools with the knowledge of my supervisor, who wrote me an excellent reference letter. This is my first time applying.

I have a good chance at getting an interview (3.9+ undergrad GPA, 37S MCAT, lots of longterm volunteering activities, etc) however my grad degree is not progressing the way it was supposed to. Some unfortunate things have happened and as a result, it's not 100% clear that I'll be done by Sept.2013. When I applied, I was on track to be done by June and had my supervisors blessing.

Most of the schools don't care if I'm done the degree or not. My supervisor understands that I may quit and is okay with this. I've had scholarships for my degree so he hasn't had to pay me anything. As well, I wasn't going to apply for 2013 since I wanted to make sure I was done my degree but he advised and encouraged me to do so, thinking I'd be done. So now he completely accepts and supports the fact that I may have to quit.

But will it forever taint my CV that I'll have 2 years of grad school but no degree? I don't know what to do at this point and I don't know how badly something like quitting will effect me down the line? Will this look bad when I apply for residency programs? Jobs? Will I forever be explaining this to interviewers??

I'd REALLY like to not drop the degree and finish it. But at the end of the day, med school acceptances are so hard to come by these days, that I can't justify saying no to med school in order to finish an MSc. So the ONLY reason I would drop the degree is if I have a med school acceptance in hand.

The chances that I'll finish in the fall are still uncertain at this point. It's about 50/50. I'll know more by second semester. There is still a possibility that I'll be done by fall. If I get into the med school at which I am doing my grad degree, I'd be happy to do it concurrently to try and get it done. I've also emailed adcoms about deferrals since there is really nothing at all that neither I nor my supervisor can do at this point.

Of course, whether I'm done or not, I still have no acceptances so this is all hypothetical at this point. Nonetheless I can't stop thinking about it and if anyone has some advice I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless I'm mistaken, I feel that quitting grad programs in response to an acceptance is not too uncommon. I do know that schools typically require you to complete undergraduate programs. I don't really see how the degree would benefit you much anyway in addition to a medical degree.

If I remember correctly from when I applied to med school, a lot of the programs had completing any current degree program as a requirement for acceptance/matriculation

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly from when I applied to med school, a lot of the programs had completing any current degree program as a requirement for acceptance/matriculation
This is true for 2 of the schools I applied to but the other 4 don't care whether or not I finish the grad degree as long as I have an undergrad degree, which of course I do.

This is a school issue. The only way you can know for sure is by calling each school that accepts you and asking about their specific requirements.

This is true for 2 of the schools I applied to but the other 4 don't care whether or not I finish the grad degree as long as I have an undergrad degree, which of course I do.

So there's your answer.

But when it comes time to apply for residency will interviewers see the quitting as a character flaw? Or unprofessional? It's long term repercussions that I'm worried about. Does anyone have any info on this? This is something I can't really ask the schools, since they won't really say how that affects my residency chances (I have asked and gotten pretty much useless replies).

But when it comes time to apply for residency will interviewers see the quitting as a character flaw? Or unprofessional? It's long term repercussions that I'm worried about. Does anyone have any info on this? This is something I can't really ask the schools, since they won't really say how that affects my residency chances (I have asked and gotten pretty much useless replies).

Some of the top programs have been known to look at undergraduate grades. Most don't. IMO, if a residency program wants to go that far in defaming your character because you made a C in Organic I, it's probably not a great program.

If you really don't want to have just those two years on your record, if you get an MD acceptance, you can always defer for a year so you can finish the degree.

Residency programs care about clinical grades, board scores, and whether you're a hard worker and team player (which should be evident by looking at your academic record in med school your LORs). Some like research experience, others don't care.

Not to diminish your graduate school experience, but seriously, nobody is going to give two flips. Besides, your only options at this point are to withdraw and reapply (which would be insanely stupid) or just roll with an acceptance and put all this behind you.

Actually, I do know of one person who was in a similar boat. He tried to finish his Masters in between the first and second years of med school. Not sure if he succeeded.