Quitting consulting job after 6 months - Does it look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

17throwaway13579

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, really starting to hate my job, feel like I'm wasting my time just moving boxes around on slides doing nothing that's interesting or thought-provoking or any real critical thinking and just way too long hours for something I'm starting to really not care about. Thus, thinking about quitting.

I'm thinking about applying not this upcoming cycle, but the cycle after that, and I'd use the time between now and then to like get some things that I'd need for my application like volunteering, some more clinical experience etc. which I cant really do rn cuz of my job. I also have an opportunity that i wud be interested in pursuing during the fall of this year if i were to quit so in that sense wouldn't have nothing lined up during that time.

For broader context, i was kind of thinking abt med school before taking this job, but ultimately decided against it and thought I'd be here for at least 2 years. However, this job made me realize that i really wud rather go to med school cuz this job is soul sucking and I never want to go back

I just wanted to know if ppl think quitting after only 6 months would be something that would be a red flag for schools and if ppl thot there wud be any ramifications for quitting so "soon" given that i dont plan on and hope to never be in the consulting space again

Just general stats - I have like approximately 280 volunteer hours like 120 clinical, 160 non-clinical so that would need to be boosted a lot. Lots of research experience. High stats - T10 school, GPA: 3.95+, MCAT: 520+

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
No it won't be a red flag if you quit. If it's brought up during an interview, then you can spin it in a positive light.

Ex: I quit that job because I wanted to pursue a position that would place me in a rigorous clinical environment.

Reactions: 3 users
When you have options available, life is too short to do something that makes you miserable. While longevity in a job is preferable, priorities change and adcoms understand. When explaining your decision to switch, do not trash your current field (it happens often and it reflects poorly on the applicant). Also make sure that this is a well informed and well thought out decision and not an impulsive one. Medicine is far from being all sunshine and rainbows. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You're fine. It's not 2000 anymore. People jump jobs all. the. time.

When you have options available, life is too short to do something that makes you miserable. While longevity in a job is preferable, priorities change and adcoms understand. When explaining your decision to switch, do not trash your current field (it happens often and it reflects poorly on the applicant). Also make sure that this is a well informed and well thought out decision and not an impulsive one. Medicine is far from being all sunshine and rainbows. Best of luck.

Fair, but in response: Adcoms need more worldly experience. If they saw my coworker's code, they would be more empathetic.

I feel like consulting is an impressive EC to have, esp if it’s in healthcare.

Can you ask to switch roles so you can have more active participation in the actual consulting as opposed to making powerpoints?

no. you should've quit yesterday. If something is soul sucking quit. Life is too short and nobody on the admissions committee will care if you were there 6 months or 2 years, just that you got something out of it. And realizing that it wasn't for you is definitely something. I don't understand other posters telling you to stay, follow your gut. It's kind of like people in my class doing stuff that makes them miserable to boost their CV. Is it worth it in the end if you're miserable?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for your input, ill definitely take it into account (leaning towards quitting)

I feel like consulting is an impressive EC to have, esp if it’s in healthcare.

Can you ask to switch roles so you can have more active participation in the actual consulting as opposed to making powerpoints?

it's in healthcare but all consulting is making powerpoints lmao. I don't think anyone until your at the very senior levels (8-10 years+) does any sort of thinking about the important or essential questions our clients are trying to understand. My job is basically a mix of making powerpoint slides, doing some basic excel data analysis, and being a glorified secretary and wud be that for like the next 2 years

Thanks everyone for your input, ill definitely take it into account (leaning towards quitting)

it's in healthcare but all consulting is making powerpoints lmao. I don't think anyone until your at the very senior levels (8-10 years+) does any sort of thinking about the important or essential questions our clients are trying to understand. My job is basically a mix of making powerpoint slides, doing some basic excel data analysis, and being a glorified secretary and wud be that for like the next 2 years

yeah, in that case, it's a good idea to dip out... unless it pays enough over the alternatives to justify you staying and building up some cash, which could be helpful in the future, but I don't think an entry-level position pays thattt much?

that being said, you can probably find a research/scribe job that pays decently and you'd find more enjoyable.

absolutely yes. I was in a similar soul-sucking consulting job and stayed longer than you, but left and have never looked back. sounds like we might be applying the same cycle too.