1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

quitting dental assisting job?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by polospy, May 31, 2008.

1. polospy

hey everyone I need some advice. I recently got hired as a dental assistant and I've been working there for 2 weeks. They'e training me and I really like the place a lot but, working there makes it really hard to study for my DAT, which I'm taking mid August. How should I tell them that I want to quit? any advice would help, thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"

Academic Administration
    Do some multitasking. A little time management has never killed anyone.

4. i like dat

i like dat member

Dental Student

I would quit. You should focus your time to studying.

5. Mstoothlady2012

Dental Student
    Wow I have been looking for job in dental clinic from long time and still no luck! If i were you i wouldnt quit. I understand it must be hard, so just talk to them and ask them if you can just work part time until August.

6. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you need the time to study for the DAT, then it's a must to resign from that position. I did the same thing last year (although a different type of job). The DAT score is a MAJOR part of your application, where being a dental assistant is just icing on the cake. You already have 2 weeks, which should work well with fulfilling the shadowing/observation hours.

Just talk to the dentist, and explain your situation. Thank him for the opportunity, but let him/her know that in order for you to reach your goal at becoming a dentist you must step aside. They'll be understanding, and hopefully let you back when you get more time.

7. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

If you can't do both, then don't bother applying for dental schools, because you won't be able to handle the workload. The dental office is doing YOU a favor by spending time training you instead of posting a position for a CDA, and if you quit after two weeks, chances are they won't be too happy to write you a recommendation letter. If you had started out stating your intention as just volunteering, then I don't see a big problem with quitting.

8. daviddav

Dental Student
    ...sorry but :thumbup:....he said it all. I studied for the DAT during the spring semester off and on while taking classes, studying for them, volunteering, and working part time as a Bus operator here for our transit system. Then I took the week between those classes and my May class and studied everyday and took the DAT the day before my class started. Like a previous post states, time managment is key. Don't quit that job because it is a fantastic opportunity.

9. Quattro DMD

Resident [Any Field]

I was in the same situation 2 years ago. I was working as a dental assistant and trying to study for the DAT. I ended up quitting after a month because it was hard for me to study while working there. I ended up making enough money to pay for my AADSAS, I received a great LOR, and I was able to gain a wealth of knowledge. The bottom line is your DAT is way more important, and If you can't do both at the same time then you need to make the decision to quit or cut back to part time.

And just because some of the other posters on this thread worked, volunteered, and studied for the DAT doesn't mean you have to. An extra 8 hours a day to study for the DAT will be a big help.

10. La Dentista

Pre-Dental
    Amen, amen.
    They're doing YOU a favor, like pat kelly mentioned.

If you can't work there, go home and study afterwards... well... you get the point (hopefully). Why the heck would you quit? Time management is key..
    :rolleyes:

11. whoaaitzkyle

whoaaitzkyle go bears!

Dental Student
    Many of us are probably all working just as hard. I'm currently working full time as a dental assistant 8-5:30pm Monday through Friday. My daily routine isn't ideal but it consists of work/study/sleep/repeat. yea, you're not going to have time for any other extracurriculars or chillin with friends, but it's all about sacrifice. I can only imagine how dental school will be...I'd consider this to be good training in prioritizing and managing a heavy load of responsibility. I wouldn't quit your job...you know how many people wish they could be in your shoes right now?! Keep the job because you love it and not because you're looking for a LOR. 2 weeks is short...give yourself some time to adjust to the workload and I'm sure you'll get used to it :) good luck!