Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hello all,

I've been employed as a Sunday receptionist (5 hours per week) at an Urgent Care clinic since February. I recently started a scribe job in an ED about 35 miles away from my home and am being promoted to Chief Scribe this week. I will be working 42+ hours in the ER as a scribe on top of outside duties as Chief Scribe; therefore, I plan on moving closer to the hospital that I work at as a Scribe in a couple weeks. Will it look bad on my application if I quit the Receptionist job after only 7 months of employment there? I make more money working as a Scribe, and I feel it doesn't make sense for me to drive 40 minutes each way on Sundays to make less money and see/learn less clinically. I feel I have long-term commitment exemplified in other areas of my application, but I don't want this short employment to outweigh those commitments. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Apr 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Please relax haha. You're fine. 7 months is not a few months, or really even a 'short' term commitment, and leaving one job for a better one is a very normal and acceptable thing that happens frequently, especially for us college kids without careers. I highly doubt an adcom would even notice this. Good luck and congrats on chief scribe!

popopopop

7+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2011
DFW/Houston
Status
Medical Student
I put three jobs in my application this year that lasted around 3-4 months. They were from when I was 18-20 years old. Without those jobs, I wouldn't have had the experiences to get the other healthcare related jobs down the road. In the application process, I put down that it conflicted with my school schedule as a reason for leaving, which was *partially* true.