Quitting Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is a great article. Thanks for sharing. It really is a sad state for medicine. I really wonder how much it will change in the next 30 years compared to the last 30. It all bears on insurance issues (whether it be patient or malpractice for example). Very depressing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sad certainly, but Las Vegas has had some really big problems with their malpractice insurance policies. I think their state gov't have been trying to rectify that since physicians are fleeing the state in search of better pastures.

Great article.

Sad certainly, but Las Vegas has had some really big problems with their malpractice insurance policies. I think their state gov't have been trying to rectify that since physicians are fleeing the state in search of better pastures.

Well, it does sort of sound a lot like here. I suspect this problem is pretty widespread. Try finding an OB/GYN in Miami.

I found it really sad that in order to keep malpractice insurance down, one of the doctors had to keep cutting out services from his practice.

It still amazes me that the # of applicants keep on increasing every year and new medical schools keep popping up!

Well, it does sort of sound a lot like here. I suspect this problem is pretty widespread. Try finding an OB/GYN in Miami.

I used to work in a hospital where a few of the OB/GYNs dropped OB and are just doing routine gyn exams due to high malpractice. Such a shame, really. :(

I've a question:
If OBs are scarce, are the needs met by midwives?

The ones in my hometown that quit their OB practice also quit supervising nurse midwives.

Interesting article. Thanks.

The ones in my hometown that quit their OB practice also quit supervising nurse midwives.

Interesting article. Thanks.

This is sad since most of these docs most likely went to ob/gyn because this is their passion and insurance companies are just taking that away from them.

We actually passed a cap back in 04 but it's not court tested yet. The climate here has improved. We're not as bad as Texas and Florida but not as good as California. Bear in mind that the stories in this article are happening in a place where the med mal crisis about average for the country as a whole.

This is sad since most of these docs most likely went to ob/gyn because this is their passion and insurance companies are just taking that away from them.
I would argue that it's predominantly the lawyers, plaintiffs and their "experts" who are causing the problem but the whole system is rotten to the core.

I've a question:
If OBs are scarce, are the needs met by midwives?

Some by midwives, some go without care, every OB is full most of the time. A lot of the overflow comes to Jackson, which is the county hospital and gets a semblance of sovereign immunity (though they've found ways around it before). No OB within three counties but those in Jackson carries malpractice insurance. No joke.

We actually passed a cap back in 04 but it's not court tested yet. The climate here has improved. We're not as bad as Texas and Florida but not as good as California. Bear in mind that the stories in this article are happening in a place where the med mal crisis about average for the country as a whole.
TX bad? TX has some of the best medmal tort reform laws in the nation (limits all non-economic damages to $250k.) Not as good as IN, but as good as or better than anywhere else.