Quitting work study job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrnovember27

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on a Masters degree (a non-science one) and have been accepted to medical school this cycle. At the start of last month, I started a 19hr per week work study job in an administrative office. Since I am taking 4 graduate classes, I definitely feel that this job is making it harder for me to be as diligent as I would like to be with school work. At all the schools that I have been accepted at, I included the fact that I would be starting this job in an update letter.

Putting aside the fact that quitting this job is not great for the office I work in, would quitting this job hurt me with respect to the admissions I have received? If I were to quit, should I let the schools where I have been accepted know for the sake of transparency?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently working on a Masters degree (a non-science one) and have been accepted to medical school this cycle. At the start of last month, I started a 19hr per week work study job in an administrative office. Since I am taking 4 graduate classes, I definitely feel that this job is making it harder for me to be as diligent as I would like to be with school work. At all the schools that I have been accepted at, I included the fact that I would be starting this job in an update letter.

Putting aside the fact that quitting this job is not great for the office I work in, would quitting this job hurt me with respect to the admissions I have received? If I were to quit, should I let the schools where I have been accepted know for the sake of transparency?
Congratulations on your acceptances. What did you say in your update letter? Did you write them before the acceptances were given?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptances. What did you say in your update letter? Did you write them before the acceptances were given?

In the update letters, I said that I recently had been accepted or started a work study position (depending on if the update letter was sent before I started working or not). I wrote the update letters after my interviews and before my acceptances were given.

You were accepted to these med schools without having included this job on your Primary application. Since it was not on the application, it is unlikely to be legitimated later with a call to your boss (as you did not provide a contact or location anyway). You did work there for a time. There will be no negative repercussions to leaving the position after a short time. The only "proof" you need to submit prior to matriculation is a final official transcript from your school. Keeping your grades high is still important. A work-study position is not intended to impair that. Go ahead and give notice, (or ask to drop to 10 hours per week) perhaps citing academic reasons, with two-weeks notice. Be professional. Don't send an update about the job to your med schools.

And for future readers, please DON'T send update letters about a job you haven't even started and for which you are not past the probation period just to fluff up provided information. Certainly don't include "future" hour predictions. (I'm glad you didn't do that, OP.)