Quitting Your Career (How Did It Feel?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beBrave

Goodbye until we meet again
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be quitting my job next week and preparing for my move to the next side of the country (Cali); where I will complete my post bach work. I'm not really scared. My finances are what worry me the most as I'm moving with a lot less cash than I originally expected but still have no choice in the matter.

I am officially walking away from an established Career in Finance (I won't explore the option of transferring jobs) as I hated it passionately (my degree in business will now be virtually useless) and I will essentially be starting over as a full time pre-med; no job lined up. I will be looking for work in the clinical field which means I will likely have to settle for whatever I can get at first just so I can start accruing experience. I know many of the non traditional's have done this very thing. Mind you I'm single; no kids and no attachments.

I just feel bland. No gut wrenching; just bland. For those of you that have walked away from a career to attend school full time, how was your transition. I'm already missing the co-workers that I never even got along with. The mind has a way of taking even the worst memories and making them sparkle. How did you guys feel when you walked away?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Petrified. Still sends chills down my back when I think about it...so I don't and just focus on my studies.

Im really worried because I am in a very sought after field that is hard to crack into. I am also in a position to climb high. But I want to be a doctor so it is what it is

Members don't see this ad :)
Scary beyond imagination.

Did it once, ultimately didn't the second time (worked during gap year) for reason in my signature line.

Don't let fear stop you from pursuing your dreams, but also don't mistake legitimatize concerns that deserve consideration for 'fear', there is a difference.

I can't wait to quit. As soon as I get my acceptance letter I am done and will never look back

Your answer shows you are quitting a job, not a career (as the OP stated they were leaving). There is a huge difference.

bittersweet. I've made an impact on some long term projects that will come to fruition when I'm a resident. it would be nice to be around to see it, but I've other things on my mind. kind of crazy that I can tell my kids that i worked on this stuff, but I'm also pretty sure this is a good switch

For those of you that do this and start a post-bac (which I assume will take 2 years), how much money are you guys having saved up or do you have financial support? I would feel comfortable doing this (unless I could keep working) with less than $40,000 or so, but maybe I'm misjudging how much money is needed.

This was the hardest and easiest part of the process for me.

I did pretty well in my education career and had enjoyed my role in school administration. I think that I felt confident in that made it easy for me to move on, because I saw myself succeed as an educator and I realized, if I had to, I could always fall back on that.

The hard part for me was telling people I was leaving -- starting with my boss, who has been a colleague, mentor, and friend. I was concerned about our friendship suffering, as well as disappointing him after the opportunities he has given me.

Of course, in the months since, all the realities of not working full time catch up with me. I was lucky to get health insurance through the university where I am doing the pre-reqs, but that was a struggle to find at first and would have set me back several thousand dollars if I had to get it off the market. I'm also trying to not dip into my savings, but I realize that there are times I rely on the credit card a bit too much. So, balancing my finances post-FT employment, I'd say, has been a learning process for me...

For those of you that do this and start a post-bac (which I assume will take 2 years), how much money are you guys having saved up or do you have financial support? I would feel comfortable doing this (unless I could keep working) with less than $40,000 or so, but maybe I'm misjudging how much money is needed.

Leaving with $3k - 4k ( still waiting on 401k). $40k is unrealistic.I was roughly a few years into my career, if took me like 10 years to break in. Walking away from it is the best thing I can do for me. I would call it financial suicide but I know that I would have ended up walking away with nothing had I just stayed and didn't choose the medicine path. A career that takes 20 - 30 years to establish only to be left unfulfilled at the end wasn't for me. I won't get to push a Mercedes Benz for at least a couple of years out of med school probably but it'll be worth it. Its hard laying the ground work for a decade or more and then completely start over.

So I'll be quitting my job next week and preparing for my move to the next side of the country (Cali); where I will complete my post bach work. I'm not really scared. My finances are what worry me the most as I'm moving with a lot less cash than I originally expected but still have no choice in the matter.

I am officially walking away from an established Career in Finance (I won't explore the option of transferring jobs) as I hated it passionately (my degree in business will now be virtually useless) and I will essentially be starting over as a full time pre-med; no job lined up. I will be looking for work in the clinical field which means I will likely have to settle for whatever I can get at first just so I can start accruing experience. I know many of the non traditional's have done this very thing. Mind you I'm single; no kids and no attachments.

I just feel bland. No gut wrenching; just bland. For those of you that have walked away from a career to attend school full time, how was your transition. I'm already missing the co-workers that I never even got along with. The mind has a way of taking even the worst memories and making them sparkle. How did you guys feel when you walked away?

I'm ready. Five years in the Army (I guess that counts as a career). It hasn't been a waste. The Army paid off a good chunk my substantial student loans from grad and UG (55K+) and officer pay and a deployment helped with the rest. Since my car's been paid off, I've been saving and have about 40K+ for medical school. GI Bill will take care of my tuition and most of the living expenses so that's just to be comfortable and without too much anxiety.

I definitely am satisfied with my choice to join up and serve my country , but I'm ready to move on to medical school. :D

Hello. I'm a couple weeks away from starting the Bryn Mawr Post Bacc program, and also constantly analyzing the decision to walk away from a well-paying career, with ample potential for upward mobility.

I just paid off all my student loans last month (cleared up savings account pretty much), and will probably have approx. $7k saved up for post bacc; will have to take loans beyond that.

Like everyone mentioned, it's hard thinking about giving up an established career (took me 8 years to be where I am today), and leaving with meager savings to live a tight-budgeted student life again.

Last edited:
The general population see's Doctors as over privileged at times in terms of earning potential, having some genius IQ that they were born with and just seeing patients for a living. They don't realize the sacrifices and the uncertainty faced to become a physician. Literally trading an established life just to fulfill a passion for which there is no guarantee except that it is going to take a number of years one way or another. Determination trumps intelligence any day when striving to become a physician.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Cashing out the 401k. Wife works but her salary doesn't cover everything. We also didn't account for our dog dying, washer/dryer, refrigerator, dying as well, MIL diagnosed with cancer, FIL putting in divorce papers, and our nephew deciding to leave the house...only to return...only to leave again taking everything that wasn't nailed down....

You never really know how much money is needed so just do your best based on the expenses you know. I never factored in appliances nor all the trips to Florida to visit my MIL and her surgeries. I had to withdraw for the semester and I don't feel bad about it. I'm not a 22yo trad with only school to worry about. However that is precisely why this journey is less complicated the less attached one is...hence younger. ;)

Double post

Last edited:
After 10years of working as an IT Professional - Software Developer. Sitting behind a desk building software for government agencies. I am quitting to earn a medical degree. Everyone in my life thinks I am crazy & should be busy trying to get married instead (i am a 32yr old single female) but one more year of what I am doing now and I'll go insane & become a crack head. I earn a 6-figure salary doing this and my family thinks I should be grateful and satisfied in this line of work but there's no joy in this. I am bored as hell. I've been in denial for years convincing myself to think I like what I am doing now and afraid of starting a new career. I tried to do so many different things but my thought always come home to this desire buried deep down.

My Computer Sci degree & tons of years building software, leading development and speaking technology jargon will play some type of role in the future I am sure. Now, I am studying for the MCAT and have made the secret final decision to leave my **** job once I get accepted into to med school(s) of choice. I will not miss my super awesome coworkers and definitely not these computer screens (I am sitting behind 3 as i type this). I won't miss this field. Waking up with the thought of sitting behind a computer screen for 10+ hours in a day has become challenging and hard to face.

It is refreshing to finally make the decision to follow my passion now. I studied computer science because of my dad. I just followed what i was raised in. Now, I am even happier & so excited at the thought of this brand new future, I can't wait to start med school. Working on MCAT excitingly. I can't wait to work on cadavars...lol :eek: (i think that will be the scariest but I am ready to face them - bring it on!! :D)

Congrats and thank you for your honesty. It's just the American culture that says to make as much money as you can. People assume if you are capable of doing something, then you should be grateful to have a skill and a job but they could care less about what it does to your mental state.

Some people love Gross Anatomy while some people hate it. I have a hunch that your gonna be that girl who walks into GA, looks at the Cadaver and says "this is it?" as your classmates desperately keep eyeing the exit :p.

After 10years of working as an IT Professional - Software Developer. Sitting behind a desk building software for government agencies. I am quitting to earn a medical degree. Everyone in my life thinks I am crazy & should be busy trying to get married instead (i am a 32yr old single female) but one more year of what I am doing now and I'll go insane & become a crack head. I earn a 6-figure salary doing this and my family thinks I should be grateful and satisfied in this line of work but there's no joy in this. I am bored as hell. I've been in denial for years convincing myself to think I like what I am doing now and afraid of starting a new career. I tried to do so many different things but my thought always come home to this desire buried deep down.

My Computer Sci degree & tons of years building software, leading development and speaking technology jargon will play some type of role in the future I am sure. Now, I am studying for the MCAT and have made the secret final decision to leave my **** job once I get accepted into to med school(s) of choice. I will not miss my super awesome coworkers and definitely not these computer screens (I am sitting behind 3 as i type this). I won't miss this field. Waking up with the thought of sitting behind a computer screen for 10+ hours in a day has become challenging and hard to face.

It is refreshing to finally make the decision to follow my passion now. I studied computer science because of my dad. I just followed what i was raised in. Now, I am even happier & so excited at the thought of this brand new future, I can't wait to start med school. Working on MCAT excitingly. I can't wait to work on cadavars...lol :eek: (i think that will be the scariest but I am ready to face them - bring it on!! :D)

I have not been in my field nearly as long as you but I feel the exact same way. I am using my spare time to study for the MCAT and I plan on quitting once i get accepted.

Im really worried because I am in a very sought after field that is hard to crack into. I am also in a position to climb high. But I want to be a doctor so it is what it is

Same as me. But as soon as I told them I was moving on, I felt a huge relief. They were nice enough to allow me to stick around as long as I needed and phase into part time as needed while getting pre-reqs. I remember getting so nervous I was shaking as I told my boss because I was so worried that they would fire me on the spot (was a stupid, unrealistic fear, but I couldn't shake it). They seemed much more supportive that I was moving into something that they could tell I was passionate about. Apparently many of them had changed careers INTO the one I'm leaving after trying other careers, so they knew how I was feeling.

Thanks beBrave and CF84 :)

It is sure nice to find this forum. I have been reading obsessively for a week now.

Same as me. But as soon as I told them I was moving on, I felt a huge relief. They were nice enough to allow me to stick around as long as I needed and phase into part time as needed while getting pre-reqs. I remember getting so nervous I was shaking as I told my boss because I was so worried that they would fire me on the spot (was a stupid, unrealistic fear, but I couldn't shake it). They seemed much more supportive that I was moving into something that they could tell I was passionate about. Apparently many of them had changed careers INTO the one I'm leaving after trying other careers, so they knew how I was feeling.

That is very nice of them. For me im not sure i'll quit completely or need a transition period like become a part-time consultant / adviser / mentor & freelance for $ so i don't go broke quick :laugh: But I look fwd to the day i tell my very nice boss and coworkers peace out! I am sure they will be supportive as well. I am lucky to work with a very good team and we have all have a very friendly working relationship. My mind and heart is not just in it anymore.

The day i quit or so, i will take a long walk, i will smell roses on people yards and shake hands with strangers :love:

I know the road comes with challenges but I am ready for this!

For me, bitter-sweet. Although I think about it just about every day, I have to keep in mind that I'm going to make a bigger impact on more people in one year than I would in my former position.

For me, bitter-sweet. Although I think about it just about every day, I have to keep in mind that I'm going to make a bigger impact on more people in one year than I would in my former position.

Its crazy, but almost every Doctor will save at-least one life in his or her career. Emergency room Doctors will save many. The lives you save may allow countless generations to exist and those that exist will make contributions to the world that would have otherwise been lost. No God complex here, just thinking about how such a small deed can have such a lasting and ever growing impact is incredible. I'll probably need to look back at this post in a few years if I ever start to doubt myself and or my decision.

Last edited:
Worst financial decision I made in my life, but by and far away the best life decision I have made for myself. The first step was the most difficult, but once I started my postbac program and made friends who were all going through the same process, I knew I had made the right decision.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Worst financial decision I made in my life, but by and far away the best life decision I have made for myself. The first step was the most difficult, but once I started my postbac program and made friends who were all going through the same process, I knew I had made the right decision.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ditto

Very freeing, very scary, and very fulfilling. :)

I'm leaving what some would consider a good career to do medicine. It was a nervous decision. But I am incredibly excited to start in September.

Financially it will be difficult, but I have the ability to work part time with what I do currently and still make decent money.

The minute I stopped worrying about money and it governing my decision to improve my life happiness, I realised quitting was the best decision.

I'll be working and taking classes at the same time. I like my field, but I love medicine. I'm hoping to use my masters as a springboard into a speciality after med school is done. Good luck to all.

I will be giving up my job as a firefighter in October to pursue medicine full time. It has been very hard to convince myself to do it, but I know that it is the best choice. I will be putting all my effort into school to make up for my lack of motivation in my adoloesence.

I will be giving up my job as a firefighter in October to pursue medicine full time. It has been very hard to convince myself to do it, but I know that it is the best choice. I will be putting all my effort into school to make up for my lack of motivation in my adoloesence.

This is an incredible ongoing trend. Virtually every non traditional has some difficulties with the transition from their old (or current career) to medicine and with so many people coming from various fields (firefighting now that's awesome) it just shows more and more that Doctors are humans beings. This journey is achievable.

Congrats.

Last edited:
I did it when I started my post-bacc in early 2011. I went from good money (6 figures) to zero. I only miss the money, nothing else. It was scary but I knew back then as I do now that if worst comes to worst, I can make a few phone calls and get another comparable position. This is a huge psychological boost but there are some days when I feel like the money is a bit too tight. Granted, I am also a fiscally conservative person and risk averse so it was a huge step for me.

Last edited:
Scary. I quit Wall Street as well to get experience to apply to PhD programs.

I am now working an RA job that pays 1/4 of my old salary. I don't think I will feel comfortable with this decision until I get accepted to a PhD program.

For those of you that have walked away from a career to attend school full time, how was your transition. I'm already missing the co-workers that I never even got along with.

That quote is priceless!!! And no, I don't miss her one bit. Man, she was such a wench!

I had a 6 figure income, had a 6 figure savings account and a 6 figure 401K. I'm doing alright today financially, and don't have to take out maximum student loans...I am blessed.

I do not miss the career one bit. I miss the Hummer, the cleaning lady, the lawn maintenance crew, the trips to Europe and expensive dinners. I was never materialistic as to clothing, jewelry and the like, so I still wear my Target clothing with pride. Besides, the cotton Marvel comic t-shirts rock.

All I miss is the $$$. That's it.

I'll be making as much money as an MD in no matter what field I choose to practice. Since I am not driven to practice medicine where my income will rely on third party payer reimbursement, I know where ever I land I will be fine - speaking fees, published writer, etc.

I fell on hard times financially after the 2008 economic disaster. The family has been supreme. They knew how unhappy I was with the former career, though we enjoyed a quality of life few achieve in America. They know it is only a transition.

The way I describe my former career to people is in the traditional phrase of "golden handcuffs" because that is exactly what it was. I was a prisoner. I did well professionally. I was ranked high, got great evaluations, plaques, recognition, bonus checks, etc. All I could think about was going to medical school while I was on stage doing the dog and pony show for Corporate America.

No thanks. Yes, I miss the 5 star restaurants, I would like for my family and me to go to Spain this summer again, but I doubt we can make it. There will be other trips. It's not hard to keep focused. I love where I am at, love the horizon just ahead of me, and am thankful for being where I am. I am also thankful I was able to achieve a high standard of living working in Corporate America but am thrilled it is behind me.

I recently visited a Ritz Carlton Hotel. I used to stay in those all the time across the world I miss the furnishings, the luxury, the setting. But the memories of the corporate shtick overtook me in a matter of minutes when I entered the property. There was a price to pay for that type of living - golden handcuffs. You could never pay me enough money to go back.

Keep on trucking.

This is an incredible ongoing trend. Virtually every non traditional has some difficulties with the transition from their old (or current career) to medicine and with so many people coming from various fields (firefighting now that's awesome) it just shows more and more that Doctors are humans beings. This journey is achievable.

Congrats.

I agree it is very encouraging to know you aren't the only one giving up something to pursue what you really want. And yeah firefighting is awesome, for a few years. But it takes its toll. Still love it though, its not going to be easy to let go. Best of luck to you.

I recently visited a Ritz Carlton Hotel. I used to stay in those all the time across the world I miss the furnishings, the luxury, the setting. But the memories of the corporate shtick overtook me in a matter of minutes when I entered the property. There was a price to pay for that type of living - golden handcuffs. You could never pay me enough money to go back.

Keep on trucking.

It's funny, only someone that has walked in similar shoes can understand just how severe that price is.

The way I describe my former career to people is in the traditional phrase of "golden handcuffs" because that is exactly what it was. I was a prisoner. I did well professionally. I was ranked high, got great evaluations, plaques, recognition, bonus checks, etc. All I could think about was going to medical school while I was on stage doing the dog and pony show for Corporate America.

This is exactly how I feel. I want to take the summer off, but I'm captive to these paychecks.

Never had a "career" but I've had a job all through college and I can't WAIT to quit next month!

That quote is priceless!!! And no, I don't miss her one bit. Man, she was such a wench!

I had a 6 figure income, had a 6 figure savings account and a 6 figure 401K. I'm doing alright today financially, and don't have to take out maximum student loans...I am blessed.

I do not miss the career one bit. I miss the Hummer, the cleaning lady, the lawn maintenance crew, the trips to Europe and expensive dinners. I was never materialistic as to clothing, jewelry and the like, so I still wear my Target clothing with pride. Besides, the cotton Marvel comic t-shirts rock.

All I miss is the $$$. That's it.

I'll be making as much money as an MD in no matter what field I choose to practice. Since I am not driven to practice medicine where my income will rely on third party payer reimbursement, I know where ever I land I will be fine - speaking fees, published writer, etc.

I fell on hard times financially after the 2008 economic disaster. The family has been supreme. They knew how unhappy I was with the former career, though we enjoyed a quality of life few achieve in America. They know it is only a transition.

No thanks. Yes, I miss the 5 star restaurants, I would like for my family and me to go to Spain this summer again, but I doubt we can make it. There will be other trips. It's not hard to keep focused. I love where I am at, love the horizon just ahead of me, and am thankful for being where I am. I am also thankful I was able to achieve a high standard of living working in Corporate America but am thrilled it is behind me.

Keep on trucking.

I hope the $$$ will still stay for physicians. nobody will be making anything for at least a decade.

I hope the $$$ will still stay for physicians. nobody will be making anything for at least a decade.

The money will stay for a number of reasons. A lot of Medical cost are inflated; I don't see them going down significantly anytime soon. Americans want Doctor's; they need Doctors; no one will argue twice. I do think Obama care might cause some salaries to dip a bit but I don't think it will be significant. Overall I think we will be fine. It's all about choosing to live the kind of lives that we want. Finding the right hospital's and Medical specialties that accommodate our needs and interest. You can watch scrubs and see that being a Doctor is more than Medical charts. You are still human and choosing how you will live your life is most important. Some people seem to think that becoming a Doctor is a process that they have no control over; but the truth is we are the ones in the drivers seat; we simply have to keep our eyes on the road and look at the signs ahead of us and around us.

Last edited:

Leaving my old job was the first day of the rest of my life. It was scary until I realized it would all work out. Then I kind of wished I did it sooner.

Moving expenses deduction.

Your answer shows you are quitting a job, not a career (as the OP stated they were leaving). There is a huge difference.

Most people consider what I do a career. Six figure income, that requires a degree and significant effort to attain. I consider it insulting that someone would attribute my disdain for what I do, as an admission of incompetence or lack of effort.

If Software Engineer is just a job, then someone please enlighten me as to why. On the other hand, if you have to like your "job" in order for it to be a "career" then someone please explain to me the mechanism behind this magic differentiation.

I have written two different responses to this thread, and deleted them both.

I am a high school science teacher that will be entering med school this summer. Leaving my job at the high school is one of the most difficult things that I have ever done. I want to do this, and have wanted to do this for a long time.

I work at a school that is high poverty, and has 100% free lunch. Students there are different. Teachers are more like parents. So leaving my students is a lot like abandoning my own children. I had students go to their next class crying because I told them that I am leaving.

To answer the original question, how did I feel when I told my work that I am leaving? Both excited and depressed at the same time. Both ready to move on and wishing I could stay another year. Wanting to start medical school, but not wanting to leave high school. The term bittersweet describes my emotions fairly well.

dsoz

Hello dsoz,
This is exactly how I'm feeling right now, getting ready to start Bryn Mawr Post Bacc in May.

Really enjoyed the people and work I'm currently doing, but it's definitely a big sacrifice to leave for this future medical ambition.

Like you, bittersweet is exactly how I'm also feeling.

I have written two different responses to this thread, and deleted them both.

I am a high school science teacher that will be entering med school this summer. Leaving my job at the high school is one of the most difficult things that I have ever done. I want to do this, and have wanted to do this for a long time.

I work at a school that is high poverty, and has 100% free lunch. Students there are different. Teachers are more like parents. So leaving my students is a lot like abandoning my own children. I had students go to their next class crying because I told them that I am leaving.

To answer the original question, how did I feel when I told my work that I am leaving? Both excited and depressed at the same time. Both ready to move on and wishing I could stay another year. Wanting to start medical school, but not wanting to leave high school. The term bittersweet describes my emotions fairly well.

dsoz

Hello dsoz,
This is exactly how I'm feeling right now, getting ready to start Bryn Mawr Post Bacc in May.

Really enjoyed the people and work I'm currently doing, but it's definitely a big sacrifice to leave for this future medical ambition.

Like you, bittersweet is exactly how I'm also feeling.

I was hoping you'd say, reversible!

I left my Systems Engineering job of 10 years at the beginning of the year, to purse admission to medical school full time. I tried to do both for a while, but was unsuccessful at it.

After an unsuccessful application in 2008 , I thought I would just try to make it at my career, and be a good appreciative person, because there were people were looking for work and could not find it.

But as time went on, I felt like I was loosing more and more of myself. Every Sunday night I would feel a sense of dread come on, like I was loosing a piece of my soul.

So finally over the Christmas break, I decided I was going to leave. It was a big decision especially considering I am a 33 y/o single parent, with no other financial backing.

I was trying to go with out cashing out my minimal 401K but, after some transmission trouble and some un expected dance camp fees. I think I am going to have to go ahead and cash out.

I am working, making about 27% of my previous salary, but its a job that provides great experience. I have been looking for additional work, but I don't want it to compete with my classes, which I will be starting back in the summer. I have like 30 hours or so to finish up a BS in Bio and apply next may.

I am very happy with my decision to leave, and the only thing I miss is the pay check. I have started a blog, to help me keep perspective when things get rough... Because they already seem to be on their way there sometimes... and its barely just beginning.

Good Luck in your Journey.

I have read quite a few stories of others who have made similar sacrifices and have been successful, I hope to count myself among them in the future.

:)

I just quit my job Monday. After 10 years there it was really hard to leave, loved the job and the people, but the IT industry is all being outsourced and I just don't believe that job will be there much longer. It was going to be impossible to work during the fall anyway, the college only offers most of the courses once per semester and they are 5 days/week. They have no night shift at work and were not interested in starting one.

Going to be difficult to adjust from $120k to a broke college student. I just rolled my 401k over into an IRA so I can withdraw the money penalty free for school. Selling the property and moving into an apartment so I can pay cash for med school. Just feel like I jumped off a bridge and really hope I get accepted somewhere, especially hope to get accepted at Quillen/ETSU.

I have been counting down the days until my last day at work. It's going to be such a breathe of fresh air! A little sad, but more exhilarating than anything else though.

I felt like it was one of the craziest decisions EVER! It took me forever to really say and come to terms w/ the whole, "Ok, walk away and follow what your heart and soul tell you do, even if your brain/ration is screaming HELL NO!"

My background is I worked in food science R&D for a dream company in most people's minds. And I was about to jump to the next salary level of "lovin' it" (that's my fun giveaway clue). But I did, I walked away before that evaluation (my boss said was a formality cuz I was going to get it)

And during the post-bacc and the app process, I was constantly being nagged by the insanity of what I did!!! I would sit and fantasize about my pay increase, my upward mobility in the Clown Corporation constantly. My brain yelling "GO BACK" while my heart & soul said, "Keep going we luv this!" During the whole process.

Fast forward. 1st day of med school. It's like what everyone sez. You get a reading list, schedule, sit down in lecture and realize that you just went thru an entire chapter in the book in that 50 min lecture. And then there's still more lectures. Meaning more chapters to cover. In JUST YOUR FIRST DAY! And once again, brain screaming "NO WAY! MUST RUN AWAY!" Heart & soul urging, saying, "We'll get thru this!!" During pre-clinical, the amounts of information continue to increase, the lectures stay the same size. (ie - concentrated information)

Fast forward past the HELL of pre-clinical, Step 1 a done deal. Passed quite well/good score. My 1st rotation is Family Med. Brain is still exhausted. Heart & soul, not quite energetic as when I started. They had to do quite a bit of dragging during pre-clinical years!!! My FM preceptor introduces me to my 1st patient. She tells me, "Sit w/ Mrs. X and get her HPI, PMH, ROS, PE and I'll come back to for us to discuss the assessment and plan." EEP!

Mrs. X is a really nice patient. My preceptor gave me about 20 mins to complete my tasks. Brain sez, "OH YEAH!" Heart & soul say, "SEE!!" and overall I think, "HOLY S#*T! This is what all of that was for. This is going to be my job! I am going to get paid to sit down w/ people, chit chat, discuss their problems." PHEW!!!!!!

3rd year is super tough physically so far. Hours suck. (i.e. - I am doing ED admitting from 9pm to 7am as I type this) However, like I like to mention in a lot of the Clinical Rotation threads I post in, I wake up EVERY SINGLE DAY so ready, so eager to see more patients!! Have more encounters. In all of my years in food science, I NEVER EVER experienced feeling like this. Brain, heart, soul are ALL happy!!! I wake up 5 mins before my alarm clock consistently. I WAIT to go to the hospital. To do rounds. See patients.

If my old boss calls me up, sez, "We need you to be VP of US Menu Management. You will spend nothing out of your pocket, all expenses paid for the rest of your life and there is a sizeable 6-figure salary as long as you work for us" I'd say, NO THANK YOU. As cheesed out as it is, the way I feel is priceless.

I don't hate or love my current job. Every job has its pros and cons. Regardless, I will miss the handsome salary I make ($333 a day for each day I work - and I work about 8 hours - 6.5 in-building and about 2 or so hours at home - a day on average) as well as so much time off. The medical insurance policy is also great. What I won't miss is the mental drain caused by rowdy teenagers as well as administration looking for "gotcha!" moments when my pants are down (I may come to class very tired and give a simple assignment where I can sit back that period and just supervise the activity rather than attack the lesson head-on period in and period out that day). I can handle the admins but I can't handle the students day in and out. It's very taxing and leaves very little mental energy to focus on studying.

Anyhow, I am now in your boat. I will be submitting my resignation in June (I work at a high school). I am feeling mentally sick and physically terrible (stomach is churning). I am worried about how much income I will make part-time while I study. Since I teach high school, I am not concerned about performing academically. It's like I never left school. That doesn't mean it's easy. It simply means that I know how to learn. Some of the people posting here are afraid for a variety of reasons. Here are mine:

I am married and my wife is working and we don't have kids. Rents are high in Brooklyn (even the dangerous neighborhoods have studios filled with vermin and bugs for $800 a month at the least, not including utilities) and certain medical care such as routine dental cleanings, birth control, etc. will add to our expenses. We never go out and eat mostly at home. We have looked into free birth control offered in NYC as well as other programs that are free or low-cost in NYC. I have also gone to a counselor to discuss what I am doing to be sure this is not a mid-life crisis event akin to a balding guy buying a sports car. I have also spoken extensively with my wife, as well as had sleepless nights about what I am doing. Even though I am not being fired and can return one day, resigning from this organization will mean I probably will never be able to return. Other schools pay at awful rates even though my license is coveted in the industry. Like some of you, my fear isn't failure and I don't care about stuff or luxuries. My fear is the unknown such as not being able to make rent in case my wife gets injured or something goes wrong, as is life. On the other hand, I don't want to teach for the rest of my life. It's a profession with no growth (I don't care for salary beyond food, rent, and medical care - I care most about growth, performing, and succeeding towards building something bigger everyday) and it was a juvenile passion of mine at the time in my 20s which coincided with my fear of math and science (to stay out of medicine because it involved these subjects) coupled with being offered a subsidized college education during the undergrad. and grad. years. Essentially I have let fear run my life. Now, it's time to allow fear to run away from my life. Far easier said than done but not following this path will feel even worse 10 years from now.

I am planning on working as a sit-down security guard in some random parking lot or car dealership or nursing home at night (I have done this before) so I can study and make enough money to cover college tuition costs (about $3000 per semester which is 6 months long - an incredible value for up to 18 credits). Either this, or selling/writing term papers for college students who have no idea how to start a sentence for the liberal arts subjects. I also did this back in 2001 to make pocket money. Tutoring is also something I will look at for about $10 to $15 an hour. I hate working in food service or retail or anything where I don't have to use my brain while at work. The backup guaranteed option for income will be manual labor such as moving services or cleaning people's homes in case I need money just to eat and pay rent. I do have thousands saved (about $8000) as well as a $40,000 cash advance line with no debt on credit cards in our household in case something goes very wrong and we all know how that works - we make plans and then life happens. We are all one medical emergency away from declaring bankruptcy. I am simply hoping for the best and trying to pay as I go for my undergrad. post-bac.

Last edited: