1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Quoted: Health problems M1 and class remediation

Discussion in 'Confidential Consult' started by Tildy, May 28, 2008.

1. Tildy

Tildy 12 yrs old, feels like 84
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Posted for responses

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tildy

Tildy 12 yrs old, feels like 84
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My general thoughts are that the key issue for you is your current health and your ability to really work very hard over the summer. If you feel that you can do this, and do well over the summer in remediation, then you should go for that. Assuming you do reasonably well, the long-term effect on your career will be very minimal.

As far as how often this occurs, it is highly variable, but some retaking of classes for US allopathic med students probably occurs for about 5-10% of students with a wide range between schools. This includes summer remediation and repeating first year. I've not seen published data on this and I would be doubtful of any data as being reflective of the way in which different schools handle it.

In terms of long-term effect on your career, I'm sure that some would say that you'll never be an X, where X is one of the most competitive specialties. I'm doubtful that even that is true and fairly comfortable with saying that if you continue to do well including the Step exams, and clinical performance, you'll have little long term academic sequelae.

Again, my only real advice on action is to be certain you are ready to work hard over the summer and are in good enough health to do so. If not, then I'd redo the year. If so, go for it and good luck!