Quoted: Help! I need clarification on admissions procedures!

MSmentor020

DO/Single student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Osteopathic Medical School for the 2007-2008 cycle. I have a few questions which I have not found answers to on this forum.

My academic and personal background contains an unusual circumstance which deserves further explaination to ADCOMS. Due to the limited amount of space in the personal statement, I chose not to directly address the issue in great detail. I feel that I would benefit most by writting a strong, positve essay, rather than using the space to point out weak areas.

Would it be appropriate to send a letter to individual schools, explaining my situation, at the time of my primary application submission?

Also, I would like to know whether or not schools require documentation or perform background checks on your listed employment, awards, and EC's. I have been completely honest on my application, but have no way of contacting several past employers or activity supervisors. Do schools typically require hard proof of your statements?

Well, first off, Best of Luck to you!!!

As to your questions, I'll start with the latter first. The answer is quite simply, NO! ADCOMs do not require hard documentation from listed employment, awards, and/or ECs. However, with that said, it is best to be perfectly honest on all your applications. ADCOMs are very experienced at what they do and may sense over exaggerated items on someone's application.

Secondly, although no hard documentation is required, there is a very good chance that these may be brought up during your interview.

As to your first question, I would recommend you NOT send them an extra letter with your primary. This is quite simply because schools receive thousands of primary applications. There is a very good chance that your letter may never even reach your file and become lost. The better course of action would be to wait and send it in with your secondary OR send it in after your file is complete with the school (much like a Letter of Intent).

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.