1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Quoted: History of anorexia nervosa and medical school application

Discussion in 'Confidential Consult' started by Tildy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Tildy

Tildy 12 yrs old, feels like 84
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A question about med school application - I will address this later as well.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tildy

Tildy 12 yrs old, feels like 84
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you really have two choices here. The first would be to not bring it up at all. There is no need to explain the LOA since you graduated on time. Rather, if someone asks (and not everyone will), you can simply indicate that you had some health issues that are resolved and leave it at that. Remember that many interviewers will not have read your letters anyway.

Bottom line is that no one has a right to hear about your AN and any details of your medical history if you don't want to tell them. Not discussing the history will NOT keep you from getting an interview or admission if all other aspects of your application are strong. Just state that any medical issues are fully resolved.

Now, the alternative approach is to BRIEFLY mention your AN in secondaries or in response to questions asked in an interview about an LOA. In this case, simply indicate you had the condition, received treatment and are recovered. Again you are under no obligation to discuss your medical history in any detail at all.

Ultimately, I don't think the leave of absence will be a substantial aspect of how your application is reviewed. Good luck! There are lots of folks with a history of eating disorders who are in medical school or who have graduated from med school.