Quoted: history of DUI and med school admission

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to medical school and was convicted of a DUI 4 years ago. I was also charged with Posession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia (these were found in the car but were not mine, although I do admit to previously trying marijuana). I immediately submitted to a drug test when finding out about the charges and I received a suspended sentence for POM and no conviction although I have a conviction of DUI.

What can I do to improve my chances for a medical school admission? Should I write a detailed letter explaining what happened, and what I've changed about myself and include my remorse and regret for what I did? Should I get involved in volunteering with drunk driving/drug organizations? I am willing to do anything it takes to prove this does not reflect my current character and judgement. Is 4 years enough time from a conviction to be excused by a committee?

This is a difficult one as this type of episode is a huge red flag on admissions. I do not think that involving yourself in organizations is in and of itself the answer. I think it would more be related to what you've done since the episode, evidence of your character and suitability for medicine. Some schools will not give you the time of day. Others might if you otherwise have a clean record. There is no time line, but I think 4 years is enough time to move forward and see what happens. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

It is not a death sentence. I was arrested for DUI the night that I submitted my final secondary app. I talked about it in my interviews. I was convicted the week of my acceptance. It showed up on my background check as a conviction. I discussed it with the dean of admissions and I am now in my 4th year. Good luck.