Quoted:HPSP an drug use question

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted anonymously for a user

The HPSP packet has questions regarding illegal drug use. What happens if I answer "yes" because I've smoked marijuana in the past? It's not habitual, but it's been 10-15 times over the last 6 years.

Are there any repercussions for applicants who answer "yes" to the question? There's no chance for an explanation on the form, so I feel like if I answer yes, I'm lumped into the drug addicts/heavy users.

Members don't see this ad.

Posted anonymously for a user

The HPSP packet has questions regarding illegal drug use. What happens if I answer "yes" because I've smoked marijuana in the past? It's not habitual, but it's been 10-15 times over the last 6 years.

Are there any repercussions for applicants who answer "yes" to the question? There's no chance for an explanation on the form, so I feel like if I answer yes, I'm lumped into the drug addicts/heavy users.

Why would you answer yes? Unless there is evidence that you used drugs (suspension from work, arrest, facebook picture), just say no.

Why would you answer yes? Unless there is evidence that you used drugs (suspension from work, arrest, facebook picture), just say no.

Well one reason he might not want to lie here is that unlike medical school application forms, there is a real possibility that at some point he will be attached to a polygraph. HPSP means military officer, and I believe that means he needs at least a Secret security clearance, which means a real background check (not just a computer scan of past convictions and arrest warrants), which may involve a polygraph (and certainly people showing up at your friends and associates houses in trench coats with questions).

So let's say he's sitting on a medical school acceptance and then lies to the federal government, his school finds out that he's accused of breaking a federal law. Now maybe the admission offer itself is in jeopardy. Most security forms I've seen for other jobs/programs says something like for marijuana <10 times in life and none more than 5 years ago, but I think hearing what the military standard is from a military doc would be great.

Well one reason he might not want to lie here is that unlike medical school application forms, there is a real possibility that at some point he will be attached to a polygraph. HPSP means military officer, and I believe that means he needs at least a Secret security clearance, which means a real background check (not just a computer scan of past convictions and arrest warrants), which may involve a polygraph (and certainly people showing up at your friends and associates houses in trench coats with questions).

So let's say he's sitting on a medical school acceptance and then lies to the federal government, his school finds out that he's accused of breaking a federal law. Now maybe the admission offer itself is in jeopardy. Most security forms I've seen for other jobs/programs says something like for marijuana <10 times in life and none more than 5 years ago, but I think hearing what the military standard is from a military doc would be great.

Might be too late too answer this, but you should be honest about this.

Here is the reason, it might bar you from the HPSP or it might not. The larger issue is that you will have to declare this stuff on your security clearance form to receive a commission:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/pdf/sf86.pdf

You can read the fine print, but I think falsifying the SF 86 is a felony. A felony conviction means you can't practice anywhere.

So if you lie on your HPSP scholarship form, you are going to be in the un-enviable position of having to perpetuate it on future government documents.

If I were you, I'd tell the truth on this matter on all government forms. All they can do is tell you "no". That might be a set back, but you can survive it.

That being said, I know people who were less than truthful on government forms and got away with it. I don't advise it though.