Quoted: National exposure (tv) and med school application

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back when I was 18 I auditioned for "American Idol." I made it pretty far but not to the point where you are featured individually and my footage was cut and not shown on the air. Therefore, I am still relatively unknown in this regard. However, am now 21 and have decided to give it one more shot before applying to medical school this cycle since I will have a year off and can actually dedicate the time (if need be) to attending Hollywood week and future rounds if I make it that far. I will be turning in my AMCAS application in a few weeks, and I am wholly dedicated to my career as a physician. My performing is more of a hobby, but I feel like I might be able to make it on the next season of AI and do pretty well. Do you think being on "American Idol" would make me a more unique and well-rounded candidate for medical school, or would it make me less desirable because of it. If I do make it far enough to be featured on television, most of my interviews will be over by then - should I write letters to the schools and update them on the progress? Should I bring this up in interviews?

Thanks for any help you can give.

In general, things that are "unique" such as this are positives in that they give interviewers something to talk about and have a bit of fun with. However, because of the nature of shows like this, there is certainly the risk, if you make it to Hollywood, of being portrayed in a negative light and if you make it too far, in being considered not serious about medicine. Overall, my opinion is that on balance it is worth going for - but make sure you have all the usual volunteering and medical experiences to back up your application. Do not put it on your AMCAS now - you don't know anything about what will happen, but if you get on TV, then I'd mention it along the way without focusing on it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that as long as you can have a sense of humor about the silly aspects of the show (all the people we see hyperventilating because they didn't make it to Hollywood and THEIR LIFE IS OVER OMG), it could be a great addition to your application and a real conversation-starter.

Just make it clear that singing/performing is a hobby you love and - as you say - you just wanted to give it a shot before pursuing the career that you have always known will fulfill your personal need to spend your life helping others. But please, find a more eloquent and convincing way than that to say it ;)

Good luck, let us know how you do!

I agree with nu2004.

I think a lot depends on the context of your publicity. I would hardly classify an audition for a TV show as "troublesome" and possibly just the "wild card" you need to get that ever intangible advantage... provided, you have no history of "up and dropping everything" to do it, like pulling up and leaving a hand full of "W's" at some time in the past.

I know something of playing the "eccentric" and "unusual" card. I have often joked that my AD COM must have had an odd amalgam of both pity and amazement and simply could not pass up the irresistible "social experiment"!