Quoted: premed and depression

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted for user: Please remember not to provide medical advice as that is not permitted or the question asked.

In high school, I was treated for moderate to severe depression. I received psychotherapy and was prescribed SSRI's, and I eventually came out of it. I am a sophomore in college now, and within the past several months, I have been experiencing a milder depressive episode, for which I am seeing a therapist but I am not taking SSRI's. During these depressive episodes, I was never suicidal nor did I ever have severe problems with day-to-day functioning. Also, from this more recent depressive episode, I know that I can tell when I do need help and when I'm just feeling blue. How can this history of depression affect my chances for getting into medical school and/or becoming licensed if I get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

It won't if you don't tell.
That would be my advice.
Just make sure that medicine is the right career for you, as much as you can, before making a commitment to medicine. That's the advice I'd give any premed...may be more important if you know you are prone to depression.

Your medical information is private- I have a long hx of "mental illness" and am in the process of completing med school.

The biggest issue is making sure it doesn't get in the way of your ability to function. This means making sure you're on medication when you need to be, and making sure you're in therapy when you need to be. My med school has a mental health service that provides access to SEVERAL psychiatrists. If mental health issues were non existent in med students, they wouldn't provide this service.

Good luck! :)