Quoted: Taking a break after IM fellowship training

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted for a member

Hello, thanks in advance for reading and answering this (somewhat unsettling) question.

I am a Canadian (no US green card, H1B visa) currently an IM subspecialty fellow who is on track to complete fellowship this June. Up to now, all my training has been done at reputable US schools/programs. I am BC'ed in IM and will be taking my IM sub boards this fall. I have not had any break in my education and training up to this time, but I am feeling somewhat burned out right now. I am planning to take a personal break (maybe up to a year, due to visa timing issues) to relax, spend time with family, travel, getting engaged/married, while studying for my subsp boards, instead of jumping into (and get locked into a contract/partnership track) with a private practice right away. Fortunately for me, finances are not a problem at this time.

My concern is, would taking a longer break like this have a huge negative connotation on me getting a job in the future? (ie. would an employer ask "what's wrong with you?") On the one hand, my heart tells me that I need to take this break, but on the other, I am fearful of any substantial negative impact on my job prospects in the future.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First, I assume you are not interested in turning your H1b into a green card, which might be a possibility. If you "take a break" your visa expires and you return to the Great White North.

Doing "nothing" will not be seen as a positive. Take a month or two break, and no one will care. Take more than 6 months and you might raise some concerns. Have you considered working part time?