Quoted: This is a GOOD thing

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not all questions are about BAD things, sometimes folks need to know how to handle potentially GOOD news. So, we get this question:

I was going to apply to a particular, very sought after med school via early decision, but at the last minute, just couldn't do it, and applied to them via regular process.

So today, the assistant dean emails me about my app (now complete) and asks if I had changed my mind, said she'd emailed me saying I should apply ED (I never got that email, but ok). No pressure, just asking, she says.

Holy Sh**! So, what would you do?

I replied saying still held said school very much as my top choice.....

Should I try to contact AAMC and "change my mind" and apply ED? Is that even possible?

Well, it's always nice to have assistant deans say things like that, but as you'll learn in the residency application process, there was no guarantee made. In other words, don't count on it. That is, the assistant dean didn't promise you an admission, or even say that she was "nearly certain" of your admission. Early decision is best when there is only one school you are certain that you want to go to, when your numbers are WELL above their averages, and when the rest of your application is solid. Even then, it's a gamble, but can be a reasonable one in those circumstances.

Everyone else should apply regular decision, including you. So, send those gushing letters to the assistant dean, also not PROMISING anything. Tell her how incredible her school is, how much you are excited about CONSIDERING going there and how much you look forward to interviewing with her. Then apply to a range of schools like you would anyway.:)

Members don't see this ad.