Quoted: two marijuana related offenses and med school

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been adversely adjudicated for possession of marijuana twice by my university.

The first time was 3 years ago. And the second time was a year ago.

After the second time I was suspended from school for a year.

I also got in trouble in freshman year for emailing struggling friends computer science homework. They copied the code line for line and we all got in trouble for "unauthorized collaboration".

I will be completing a post-bacc and by then the marijuana incidences would be 4 and 6 years old by then and the unauthorized collaboration would be 7 years.

Does this mean my application is garbage regardless what my stats are?

Would I even have a chance of interviewing with a good GPA high MCAT and good EC's?

I was thinking of applying to osteopathic schools. Would very high scores on MCAT help at all?

I do not think I would even have a chance with allopathic schools.

Since the last offense was 1 year ago, and you are talking about applying when it is 4 years since then, it appears you are talking about 3 more years until you apply. A lot can happen in that time to affect things and you have no idea how you'll do on your MCAT.

I would focus on resolving the issues leading to the multiple actions taken against you and not focus over the next year on specific med school related issues. Can you get into a US medical school? Maybe. But not until you show a relatively consistent pattern of appropriate behavior. It'll still be a long shot, and will not necessarily be related to a 30 vs 35 MCAT. It will be related to who you are and how you present yourself as an applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Concur STRONGLY with Tildy's answer. You have not only shown VERY poor judgment and a lack of ethics, you also haven't learned from your mistakes. If I had your application for an interview right now, I'd reject you out of hand.

However, seven years from now, the you of 2020 will hopefully be very different from the you of 2013. By then we hope to see that you have owned your mistakes, and matured as a person. We do believe in the power of redemption, but it will be up to you to show it.

I have been adversely adjudicated for possession of marijuana twice by my university.

The first time was 3 years ago. And the second time was a year ago.

After the second time I was suspended from school for a year.

I also got in trouble in freshman year for emailing struggling friends computer science homework. They copied the code line for line and we all got in trouble for "unauthorized collaboration".

I will be completing a post-bacc and by then the marijuana incidences would be 4 and 6 years old by then and the unauthorized collaboration would be 7 years.

Does this mean my application is garbage regardless what my stats are?

Would I even have a chance of interviewing with a good GPA high MCAT and good EC's?

I was thinking of applying to osteopathic schools. Would very high scores on MCAT help at all?

I do not think I would even have a chance with allopathic schools.

Since the last offense was 1 year ago, and you are talking about applying when it is 4 years since then, it appears you are talking about 3 more years until you apply. A lot can happen in that time to affect things and you have no idea how you'll do on your MCAT.

I would focus on resolving the issues leading to the multiple actions taken against you and not focus over the next year on specific med school related issues. Can you get into a US medical school? Maybe. But not until you show a relatively consistent pattern of appropriate behavior. It'll still be a long shot, and will not necessarily be related to a 30 vs 35 MCAT. It will be related to who you are and how you present yourself as an applicant.