Qusetion RE Path lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Histo-tech turned Med student and I work with a group of 4 surgical pathologists at a large hospital. As of now, each pathologist gets (on average) a week off per month, and has call only about 1 week per month (and they rarely get called). We put through an average of 150-200 blocks per day, and if the pathologist who is on clinicals for that week is "super busy" he has one FNA/BNMR Bx a day. Is this "normal" for surgical pathologists ??? I have asked my docs and they don't know.
One of the pathologist i work with says"I get paid WAY too much for the work I do." It seems like a really great life style, and I was wondering if it was normal. I know that path is regarded as a "lifestyle" program, but this just seems too much.

Each pathologist also is responsible for the clinical lab and transfusion service too, but I don't know how much time that eats up since we never observe them doing that stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

There are practices like that and ones that work 70 hours a week with little vacation. It just depends on the individual practice and how much money you want to make verses how much life you want to have.