Army R-PROFIS and adding 12-months to ADSO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
See topic. Reassignment is being treated as a, "no cost", PCS, which incurs an additional 12-month ADSO served concurrently with whatever other ADSO one may have.

The problem, however, is that those with less than 12-months remaining for their ADSO are not exempt from selection for one of these R-PROFIS positions. So, does anyone know more about such a predicament? I'm 5 months from terminal leave and don't really want to involuntarily add 12-months.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you submitted your separation paperwork yet? Once you do, you should automatically be stabilized. If you haven't yet, now is the time to go talk to the S1.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Have you submitted your separation paperwork yet? Once you do, you should automatically be stabilized. If you haven't yet, now is the time to go talk to the S1.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I submitted mine 6 months ago, and have an approved UQR. Separation orders should be cut in the next 1-2 weeks. None of this matters and I am not exempt from being selected for one of these positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
This comes up on occasion for other types of orders. They can make an exception to the requirement but don't have to. I know it was an issue for someone who was rotating off an operational tour and either had to extend in place and deploy or gain an extra year (that was a long time ago though).

Last edited:
See topic. Reassignment is being treated as a, "no cost", PCS, which incurs an additional 12-month ADSO served concurrently with whatever other ADSO one may have.

The problem, however, is that those with less than 12-months remaining for their ADSO are not exempt from selection for one of these R-PROFIS positions. So, does anyone know more about such a predicament? I'm 5 months from terminal leave and don't really want to involuntarily add 12-months.
AR 350-100 Officer Active Duty Service Obligations
1–9. Who incurs active duty service obligations

b. Officers must fulfill ADSOs before they are eligible for voluntary separation. The ODCS, G–1, may grant nonstatutory exceptions.

c. Officers will not be further obligated beyond the dates voluntary ADSOs are fulfilled without their consent, either expressed or implied.

2–5. Permanent change of station
b. Officers reassigned on PCS from an overseas location to continental United States (CONUS) or from a CONUS location to another CONUS location, incur a 1-year ADSO computed from the date arrival at the new duty station. Officers who move on a no-cost PCS on an intercommand PCS (for example, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) to Army Staff, U.S. Army Forces Command unit to a TRADOC unit) will incur a 1-year ADSO, unless a greater ADSO is placed on the officer pursuant to regulation. Such ADSO is computed from the date of arrival at the new duty station.
c. Officers who receive PCS assignment instructions and do not wish to incur the additional ADSO may request release from active duty (REFRAD), separation, retirement (see AR 600–8–24). An officer’s written request for REFRAD, separation, or retirement must be submitted within 30 days of the assignment alert. Failure to submit a request within 30 days implies consent to the assignment and the officer must comply with the orders.
(1) To be eligible to apply for retirement, an officer must have at least 19 years and 6 months of active Federal service at the time of assignment alert. Officers whose request for retirement under this provision is approved must retire within 6 months of the assignment alert.
(2) Officers whose request for REFRAD is approved must be released on the date their obligated period is completed. ...

Do you meet any of the criteria that would cause the REFRAD already submitted to be disapproved? Worst case, immediately resubmit the REFRAD if you get assignment instructions or orders. Has someone notified you these orders are pending and the 30 days toward implied consent has already started?

AR 600-8-24 Officer Transfer and Discharges
1–12. Eligibility for voluntary separation

a. An officer may request separation from the Army under the provisions of this regulation. The appropriate commander will ensure that the officer is separated on the date specified in the separation order and furnish the discharge certificate specified by CG, HRC (if appropriate).

b. A request for separation may be disapproved by the approval authority when the—
(1) Officer is under investigation or charges.
(2) Officer is awaiting result of trial.
(3) Officer is being considered for involuntary separation (Department of the Army Active Duty Board (DAADB) or elimination).
(4) Officer is absent without leave (AWOL).
(5) Officer is under control of civil authorities.
(6) Officer is mentally incompetent.
(7) Officer is in default with respect to public property or funds.
(8) Officer has not fulfilled an active duty service obligation (ADSO) specified in AR 350–100.
(9) Officer has not completed an initial USAR AGR tour or when voluntary separation is not in the best interests of the USAR AGR program.
(10) Secretary of the Army determines that existing needs of the Service require delay of favorable separation action. The retention period will be specified when the decision is made to delay the separation.
(11) President or Congress has declared a period of national emergency or war is imminent or in progress.

c. Voluntary requests for separation under this regulation may be accepted only from an officer who is mentally competent when the request is submitted. When an officer is medically incapacitated from further military service due to a physical or mental condition, the officer’s case will be delayed until he or she recovers or the officer is processed

Reactions: 1 user
AR 350-100 Officer Active Duty Service Obligations
1–9. Who incurs active duty service obligations

b. Officers must fulfill ADSOs before they are eligible for voluntary separation. The ODCS, G–1, may grant nonstatutory exceptions.

c. Officers will not be further obligated beyond the dates voluntary ADSOs are fulfilled without their consent, either expressed or implied.

2–5. Permanent change of station
b. Officers reassigned on PCS from an overseas location to continental United States (CONUS) or from a CONUS location to another CONUS location, incur a 1-year ADSO computed from the date arrival at the new duty station. Officers who move on a no-cost PCS on an intercommand PCS (for example, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) to Army Staff, U.S. Army Forces Command unit to a TRADOC unit) will incur a 1-year ADSO, unless a greater ADSO is placed on the officer pursuant to regulation. Such ADSO is computed from the date of arrival at the new duty station.
c. Officers who receive PCS assignment instructions and do not wish to incur the additional ADSO may request release from active duty (REFRAD), separation, retirement (see AR 600–8–24). An officer’s written request for REFRAD, separation, or retirement must be submitted within 30 days of the assignment alert. Failure to submit a request within 30 days implies consent to the assignment and the officer must comply with the orders.
(1) To be eligible to apply for retirement, an officer must have at least 19 years and 6 months of active Federal service at the time of assignment alert. Officers whose request for retirement under this provision is approved must retire within 6 months of the assignment alert.
(2) Officers whose request for REFRAD is approved must be released on the date their obligated period is completed. ...

Do you meet any of the criteria that would cause the REFRAD already submitted to be disapproved? Worst case, immediately resubmit the REFRAD if you get assignment instructions or orders. Has someone notified you these orders are pending and the 30 days toward implied consent has already started?

AR 600-8-24 Officer Transfer and Discharges
1–12. Eligibility for voluntary separation

a. An officer may request separation from the Army under the provisions of this regulation. The appropriate commander will ensure that the officer is separated on the date specified in the separation order and furnish the discharge certificate specified by CG, HRC (if appropriate).

b. A request for separation may be disapproved by the approval authority when the—
(1) Officer is under investigation or charges.
(2) Officer is awaiting result of trial.
(3) Officer is being considered for involuntary separation (Department of the Army Active Duty Board (DAADB) or elimination).
(4) Officer is absent without leave (AWOL).
(5) Officer is under control of civil authorities.
(6) Officer is mentally incompetent.
(7) Officer is in default with respect to public property or funds.
(8) Officer has not fulfilled an active duty service obligation (ADSO) specified in AR 350–100.
(9) Officer has not completed an initial USAR AGR tour or when voluntary separation is not in the best interests of the USAR AGR program.
(10) Secretary of the Army determines that existing needs of the Service require delay of favorable separation action. The retention period will be specified when the decision is made to delay the separation.
(11) President or Congress has declared a period of national emergency or war is imminent or in progress.

c. Voluntary requests for separation under this regulation may be accepted only from an officer who is mentally competent when the request is submitted. When an officer is medically incapacitated from further military service due to a physical or mental condition, the officer’s case will be delayed until he or she recovers or the officer is processed

I haven't been notified of anything. My consultant has assured me he is doing what he can to NOT select me for a position given my situation. However, I'm preparing to deal with this happening anyways just to be safe.

I actually already have an approved UQR and should receive my separation orders in the next week or two. I'm not really sure how this would work if someone already has a separation pending.

I haven't been notified of anything. My consultant has assured me he is doing what he can to NOT select me for a position given my situation. However, I'm preparing to deal with this happening anyways just to be safe.

I actually already have an approved UQR and should receive my separation orders in the next week or two. I'm not really sure how this would work if someone already has a separation pending.

Everything I've read, based on your circumstances, indicates they cannot make you extend your obligation - though some Policy or Directive like 'stop loss' could alter this. They could PCS you (to the other MACOM locally) and waive the additional TOS requirement allowing you to ETS from the other unit based on your current service obligation. You are separating under AR 135-175. My opinion - Someone else is going to be assigned to this R-PROFIS assignment. Good luck on the outside.

DA PAM 600-8-10 Personnel Readiness Procedures
Section III Installation and/or Community Level Out-Processing
3–7. Personnel information station
e. To preclude the departure of any PCS Soldier not qualified for movement, PINS personnel will audit the following Soldier readiness processing data items with the Soldier for accuracy and consistency between the Army field personnel information system file and the personnel documents:
(1) Sufficient time to serve the minimum required time of tour before expiration term of service or expiration of service agreement. A Soldier without sufficient time may not depart without reenlisting or extending the current enlistment to meet this requirement.
(20) A pending separation under AR 135–100, AR 135–175, AR 135–178, AR 600–8–24, or AR 635–200. Soldiers pending separation under any of these regulations are ineligible for a PCS move while their cases are pending.

Reactions: 1 user