R the # of Available Jobs + Bonuses + Tuition Refunds Going Down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastCoastHope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One person just posted that the above (see title of this thread) is happening? :confused:

Is this true? After working so hard to get into OT school might what we are all hoping for not be there when we get out? :eek:

I know there are regional difference, but I am wanting to return home (major mid atlantic city) after graduation. I'm not a tiny town person.

Members don't see this ad.

One person just posted that the above (see title of this thread) is happening? :confused:

Is this true? After working so hard to get into OT school might what we are all hoping for not be there when we get out? :eek:

I know there are regional difference, but I am wanting to return home (major mid atlantic city) after graduation. I'm not a tiny town person.

I don't think it is going down. It might be more difficult in big cities (NY, SF, Chicago...) but overall I think OT is pretty safe as far as future jobs go. See link for government stats below.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Occupational-therapists.htm

Think of all the baby-boomers and returning veterans from war who will need OT services, and this is just a small sample of people in general needing services. Additionally, OT is getting more recognition as a profession which typically leads to more referrals and work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the gvn't statements look good, but someone posted on this site that they are seeing fewer bonuses, and that some of the adds online now for OT jobs are not for orgs actually looking to hire right this moment, but just wanting to compile resumes for the future.

For those currently working in a city, does this sound correct, or not???

I just posted on this under the topic Tuition Reimbursement you can read that. But I think everything is looking good right now although you will get a better tuition refund and sign on bonus if you do a tiny town that is in shortage over a big city I will tell you that much!

Take an offer that gives a loan forgiveness, sign on bonus, and in an area of NATIONAL NEED.

Where are the areas of National Need is the question?

Occupations of "national need" are eligible for federal loan repayment support. The program allows for up to $2,000 per year for five years in repayment if professionals work in particular areas. For therapists, the bill cites working with "children, adolescents, or veterans" as the criteria for loan repayment, AOTA says.

Last edited:
Babycheeks- can you please give more information about where online to find these areas of "national need"? Who runs this program? HHS? Dept of Ed?

thanks!

I don't know where they are I just know that you can get that benefit if you find one. Wish I knew where! Maybe rural areas? You would think you could just find a list! Get some information from AOTA that is what I plan to do.

Last edited: