R1 resident interested in same city transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yohimbine1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an R1/PGY2 at an unnamed program where I recently started. I am interested in transfer to another program in the same city, where there are many programs. Will I have to wait until my R2 year, or can I potentially transfer right away? What steps do I need to take?

Why, you ask? Program and hospital have shortcomings that preclude me from learning to my full potential and will not change. I get along fine with everyone and I have no personal reasons. Yes, staying in the same city is essential.

Would like relative anonymity for politics' sake

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I've ever heard of a resident transferring a program within the same city. Only way this will work is one of the following scenarios:

1) swap with a resident at another program (probably not likely to happen, since it sounds like you are trying to transfer to a better program, so you would need someone willing to transfer to a worse one)
2) a spot opens at the other program (also pretty unlikely happen, and in this case, you would have to compete with plenty of other people looking for spots and/or trying to transfer)

Consider yourself lucky that you are in a field that you can still excel at with self-study. Unless your program is severely deficient in volume and pathology, you should be just fine if you put in the hours reading.

Number 1 won't happen I will have to count on number 2.

I do consider myself fortunate, but if there are better opportunities available I just want to know how to pursue them. Certainly I would not transfer out of rads.