1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

R1 resident interested in same city transfer

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by yohimbine1, Aug 18, 2011.

1. yohimbine1

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am an R1/PGY2 at an unnamed program where I recently started. I am interested in transfer to another program in the same city, where there are many programs. Will I have to wait until my R2 year, or can I potentially transfer right away? What steps do I need to take?

Why, you ask? Program and hospital have shortcomings that preclude me from learning to my full potential and will not change. I get along fine with everyone and I have no personal reasons. Yes, staying in the same city is essential.

Would like relative anonymity for politics' sake

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I don't think I've ever heard of a resident transferring a program within the same city. Only way this will work is one of the following scenarios:

1) swap with a resident at another program (probably not likely to happen, since it sounds like you are trying to transfer to a better program, so you would need someone willing to transfer to a worse one)
    2) a spot opens at the other program (also pretty unlikely happen, and in this case, you would have to compete with plenty of other people looking for spots and/or trying to transfer)

Consider yourself lucky that you are in a field that you can still excel at with self-study. Unless your program is severely deficient in volume and pathology, you should be just fine if you put in the hours reading.

4. yohimbine1

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Number 1 won't happen I will have to count on number 2.

I do consider myself fortunate, but if there are better opportunities available I just want to know how to pursue them. Certainly I would not transfer out of rads.