RA JOB or MA at Local University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmonte4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Im having a problem here. I applied to six clinical programs and I havent heard back from any yet. In the case I dont get in I have 2 options:

1. work as an RA under several clinical psychologists at a biomedical research center or,

2. get a MA in general psyc at a local university

Fortunately Im not hard pressed for money, so either option is viable. Im just so afraid that my MA wont transfer when switch to a PHD program. I would like to go straight to PHD candidacy. Both options will provide me with great additional reseach experience.

Which would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

mmonte4 said:
Hello, Im having a problem here. I applied to six clinical programs and I havent heard back from any yet. In the case I dont get in I have 2 options:

1. work as an RA under several clinical psychologists at a biomedical research center or,

Fortunately Im not hard pressed for money, so either option is viable. Im just so afraid that my MA wont transfer when switch to a PHD program. I would like to go straight to PHD candidacy. Both options will provide me with great additional reseach experience.

Assuming that you want to pursue a PhD at a research-oriented program, I would recommend the RA job. First, it will give you invaluable research experience that you may not get as a master's student. It will be your full-time job to engage in research, most likely with interesting clinical populations. Plus, if a PI can hire you, then you know that they have money to do their research. With the current state of affairs at NIH, there's no guarantee that your mentor at the master's program will have a big grant for you to work on.

Second, you're right about courses transferring. Immediately advancing to doctoral candidacy at a research-oriented program upon matriculation will never happen. First, they want you to take their basic curriculum - certain courses will transfer (most likely your APA "minor requirements") and others will not. Moreover, in order to formally be considered a doctoral candidate, you must pass comprehensive exams - that's why it's called, "advancing" to candidacy. A program would never administer comps to a first-year graduate student.

Finally, the RA gig is a job - so you're earning some (not a lot) of money. As a student, you'll have to pay tuition and figure out your cost of living expenses. I know you said that money is not really an issue right now, but it's a good plan to prepare yourself financially before you start grad school. Once you're in a PhD program, it will be a LONG time before you make a decent amount of money. And even though tuition and stipend are paid, these only go so far depending upon what area of the country you live in. You may not have to take out loans, but it's not like you'll be rolling in dough, either...

Anyway, I hope that was helpful. And remember that it's just one person's perspective...

p.s. Edited to Add: It's still early - interviews can take place anytime between yesterday and March (and technically the process runs until April) - so all hope is not lost yet! Either way, good luck!

mmonte4 said:

Good for you for evaluting all of your options!

With regards to your questions, I just wanted to be clear that my opinion is biased, as I happened to go the RA route. But, as LMO2 mentioned, this is a good route for those interested in pursuing research throughout their career.

If you go the RA route, make sure that the research is something of interest to you as you will be using this experience, in part, to defend your research interests/matches if you happen to reapply to graduate school. While it is certainly possible to deviate from a given area of research when you apply to graduate school, it can be very beneficial if you stick to a given area. Aside from obviously gaining experience in that area, you will also establish connections with people in that field (The PIs), who in turn, have connections with other mentors who are likely doing the same sort of work.

If I were you, I would also find out more details about the Masters program as well. For example: student funding; research opportunities; clinical opportunitys; percentage of students who are successfully placed into doctoral programs upon graduation (and where they are placed); etc. Some of the posters on this forum have seemed to have had some excellent experiences in Masters programs so I think it really depends on the particular program. Maybe one of them can elaborate on that.

Best of luck to you, no matter which path you chose! And good luck with those interviews too- there's still plenty of time! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
mmonte4 said:

Take the RA job X 1,000,000.

All of the reasons have already been listed, but I wanted to wholeheartedly support this option as it makes the most sense financially and career-wise.

thanks a lot for the responses! It seems like the RA job is the better choice. I friend of mine works there while she waits on med school and is making 35k/yr - so the pay may not be that bad.

I definately dont want to WASTE any time!

Have you considered doing both?!?

I am currently an RA in a well-funded psych lab part-time and have a clinical position part-time.

If I don't get accepted to a grad school, I will probably enter a master's program (part-time) in the Fall and reapply to phd programs next year.

One of my employers has a nice tuition assistance program (100% up to 3500).

This way, if I don't get in next year either, I will be almost done with a Master's degree that will increase my earning power/career options regardless of whether or not I eventually get into a phd program.

While being in the Master's program probably won't make a difference in getting into a phd program, it certainly won't hurt!

Tara P

hmmm, both will be a stretch, especially with a baby at home. Also, i will not be allowed to work at the biomedical research center as a volunteer.

I'd go for the RA position too (although I'm biased since I did that). I agree what the others have said, with just a couple more comments. First, the amount of research experience that you get in a masters program really varies greatly. So, you'd want to be careful that you wouldn't end up with a masters, but still very little quality research experience. Second, part of the reason that it's harder for undergrads to get in right away (aside from research experience issue) is the "life experience issue." I don't know if you've gone straight through or not, but they like seeing some time out in the real world, before you're counseling people on how to do it. It's not a strict barrier, and it's all in the maturity level, but it is a factor.

The RA jobs, despite not being something you want to do forever, are really not that bad. I had a great time in mine, got my name on some stuff, and got to my own research, and it really helped me figure out exactly what I was doing. A lot do require a 2 year committment, but not all.