RA jobs in the Baltimore/DC area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soupy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on where I should look for research assistant jobs around Baltimore/DC? I currently live in NY, but I am planning to move to Baltimore as soon as possible. I would just like to, you know, have a job set up before I do that. :laugh:

I just don't really have much of an idea on what places do research around there. I already checked out the med schools at Hopkins and UMD, and I applied to some of those positions. Beyond that, I don't know where to look.

In case some little background info may be helpful.. I just graduated with a BA in psych from NYU in May. I do want to pursue a doctorate, probably in clinical psych, but I am taking some time off first. While an undergrad, I did volunteer as a research assistant for two years. I worked on two different social psychology projects (though in the same lab), and I completed an honors thesis on one, too. So I do have some sort of research experience. I would definitely like to get out of social psych, though, and get more research experience with a clinical nature.

Thanks to anyone that can help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

it might be diffciutl as i woudl imagine that NIH heavily diverts research from that geographical location.

i suggest you look at NIH anyway though.

Shouldn't be too hard to find one in that region. Tons of schools in the DC area, and Hopkins is basically swimming in grant dollars.

Definitely look at NIH itself. Know lots of people who had great success there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've lived in Baltimore for a few years (did my undergrad at Johns Hopkins), and I can tell you that there are a lot of opportunities available... JHU Homewood campus, JHU Hospital and med school, JHU School of Public Health, JHU Kennedy Krieger, Baltimore VA, UMD med school. What are your research interests?

I know you said you applied to some positions already, but it might help to send out a bunch of emails to see if any labs are willing to take a RA. Just look around http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/ to find email addresses of different PI's.

Also, I don't know if you're interested in schizophrenia, but I received this email a few days ago:

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]University of Maryland is currently seeking qualified applicants for a research position in psychiatry at the Univ. of Maryland School of Medicine.

We are looking for someone with a bachelor's or master's degree in psychology or a related field - someone between their undergraduate studies and graduate school or medical school - to serve as a research assistant for behavioral studies of cognition in schizophrenia. This is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the study of the psychology and physiology of serious mental illness.

This NIH-funded study is being conducted at the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center in Catonsville.

The official job posting (#2067) is here (please make sure the entire link is pasted in the address line of your browser):

https://apply.unicru.com/umaryland/ece/(5235gkifpmdgaqaeryypetru)/JobDetail.aspx?RequirementID={3ea13a9e-8faa-4c8d-82ae-9d343737e66e}&Page=Job

One applies for the position by going to the "Careers at UMB" website on the UMB human resources pages:

http://www.hr.umaryland.edu/careers/

Send me a PM if you need any more help! :)

Does anyone have any advice on where I should look for research assistant jobs around Baltimore/DC? I currently live in NY, but I am planning to move to Baltimore as soon as possible. I would just like to, you know, have a job set up before I do that. :laugh:

I just don't really have much of an idea on what places do research around there. I already checked out the med schools at Hopkins and UMD, and I applied to some of those positions. Beyond that, I don't know where to look.

In case some little background info may be helpful.. I just graduated with a BA in psych from NYU in May. I do want to pursue a doctorate, probably in clinical psych, but I am taking some time off first. While an undergrad, I did volunteer as a research assistant for two years. I worked on two different social psychology projects (though in the same lab), and I completed an honors thesis on one, too. So I do have some sort of research experience. I would definitely like to get out of social psych, though, and get more research experience with a clinical nature.

Thanks to anyone that can help! :)

You might want to try USUHS.

I work at the Division of Services Research at the University of Maryland, Baltimore. Our division conducts research (some basic, mostly applied) on individuals with serious mental illnesses (schizophrenia, bipolar and major depression) within the Baltimore area.

At least two RA positions (including my job) are opening up this summer, but haven't been posted on the UMB website yet. See the website for more information on our Division: http://medschool.umaryland.edu/psychiatry/services_research/default.asp

I've had this job for two years and I've really loved it. The working environment is great and you'll have the opportunity to work with many notable names in the field. Also, I'm currently collaborating on 5 manuscripts and am attending grad school in clinical psych in the fall...so if you're looking for experience it's a great place to be. Let me know if you're interested!

Check out the psych department websites of a few of the schools in the area (George Washington, American, and U Maryland are some good bets aside from Johns Hopkins) and see if they're looking for anyone. Also can't hurt to shoot off some e-mails to professors who are doing research in the same general area you're interested in and see if they're looking for anyone. Good luck!

I currently work at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and did my coursework here. They always have positions opening for research assistants/coordinators. Here is the link:

https://hrnt.jhu.edu/jhujobs/

Goodluck!

Wow, thank you TONS for all the suggestions, guys. It is tremendously helpful! I feel like I have a lot more substantial place to start now, which is fantastic!

As far as my own research interests go.. I am literally interested in everything! I guess I am most interested in working with children and adolescents. Particularly children who experienced trauma, or children with mood or anxiety disorders. Autism spectrum disorders are interesting to me, too. I mostly see myself doing child clinical in the future. But I'm also really interested in schizophrenia, as well as substance abuse. I'm kind of all over the place! :laugh:

Also, I did try to look for jobs at NIH, but their website is so complicated to me! I don't know if I'm just completely being a spaz and missing it or what. I get directed to usajobs.gov, but I haven't had any luck finding any research assistant listings there. It seems to be more for more advanced jobs. Am I missing something?

UMCP has plenty of RA opportunities. Some of them pay well, some of them don't. The only problem is that it's quite a hike from Baltimore everyday. Perhaps look into something at UMBC or even Hopkins.

definitely, keep searching for jobs at Hopkins. contact profs in psychiatry to see if they have jobs. i worked there and i literally searched for jobs everyday until i got something. there is also university of maryland, baltimore, UMBC, NIH, Howard, Georgetown, GWU, American, just to name a few. Also, Mount Sinai Hosp, Mount Washington Pediatric Hosp., and Kennedy Krieger. You have lots of options so you're bound to hear from someone.

Thanks so much to everyone who posted in this thread. I'm in a similar situation to the original poster, and this is all extraordinarily helpful.

Hi -

I am new to this thread and excited to have found it! Does anyone know of RA jobs that are available or will become available soon? I am hoping to eventually apply to Ph.D. programs, but would like to work as an RA for a year or 2 before applying. I am also looking in the Baltimore/DC area, but would be willing to consider other locations, as well, depending on pay. Any ideas of where to look are greatly appreciated! I have tried the big search engines (Career Builders, etc.) without much success. Thank you :)

I think the old posts in this thread are quite relevant. I'd check out the NIH IRTA program and also cold-call/email local universities/hospitals (the labs that interest you) to get more specific info.

Hi -

I am new to this thread and excited to have found it! Does anyone know of RA jobs that are available or will become available soon? I am hoping to eventually apply to Ph.D. programs, but would like to work as an RA for a year or 2 before applying. I am also looking in the Baltimore/DC area, but would be willing to consider other locations, as well, depending on pay. Any ideas of where to look are greatly appreciated! I have tried the big search engines (Career Builders, etc.) without much success. Thank you :)

Wow, thank you TONS for all the suggestions, guys. It is tremendously helpful! I feel like I have a lot more substantial place to start now, which is fantastic!

As far as my own research interests go.. I am literally interested in everything! I guess I am most interested in working with children and adolescents. Particularly children who experienced trauma, or children with mood or anxiety disorders. Autism spectrum disorders are interesting to me, too. I mostly see myself doing child clinical in the future. But I'm also really interested in schizophrenia, as well as substance abuse. I'm kind of all over the place! :laugh:

Also, I did try to look for jobs at NIH, but their website is so complicated to me! I don't know if I'm just completely being a spaz and missing it or what. I get directed to usajobs.gov, but I haven't had any luck finding any research assistant listings there. It seems to be more for more advanced jobs. Am I missing something?

heres what I do at the NIH

http://www.training.nih.gov/student/Pre-IRTA/irtamanualpostbac.asp
http://www.training.nih.gov/student/pre-irta/previewpostbac.asp

its what you would have to do

Sweet deal

but tbh living in baltimore and trying to commute to the NIH... good luck I think it would be highly troublesome, even with a car its a hell of a commute with traffic... maybe consider moving in closer to the city?

but tbh living in baltimore and trying to commute to the NIH... good luck I think it would be highly troublesome, even with a car its a hell of a commute with traffic... maybe consider moving in closer to the city?

The intramural program at NIDA is actually in Baltimore. So if you are at all interested in substance use research, you could try to get a post-bac IRTA in a NIDA lab. Then you get the NIH experience without the commute!

ps. If you take an IRTA, understand that taxes are not deducted from your stipend, but you are still responsible for paying taxes yourself. It's a pain - especially when the state of MD "loses" your quarterly tax payment. I had to deal with this over 10 years ago, and it still gives me a little stomach ache when I think about it!

The intramural program at NIDA is actually in Baltimore. So if you are at all interested in substance use research, you could try to get a post-bac IRTA in a NIDA lab. Then you get the NIH experience without the commute!

ps. If you take an IRTA, understand that taxes are not deducted from your stipend, but you are still responsible for paying taxes yourself. It's a pain - especially when the state of MD "loses" your quarterly tax payment. I had to deal with this over 10 years ago, and it still gives me a little stomach ache when I think about it!

Most people pay estimated quarterly taxes so that helps them a bit... Also there are now ways to squeeze for deductions... just have to know what they are and how to get them...

Did not know the NIDA was out there but I know the NIMH is here and when you apply to be an IRTA, they are highly competitive and many people I know applied to 10 or so labs, interviewing at several. There are a lot of great research opportunities here though, and its great for the vita.