PhD/PsyD RA Position or MS en route to Clinical PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poeticjustice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker first time poster here. I want to strengthen my chances of getting into a Clinical Psychology PhD program, and believe I need more research experience. Which do you think would be more beneficial to my application: being an RA for a couple years or obtaining an MS in Clinical Psychology Thesis Track? Any advice is sincerely appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I just mentioned this in another thread, but I would recommend an RA position if research is what you're looking for. Depending on the lab you work in (and their productivity and tendency to list RAs on publications), there's a chance you could be on multiple publications, which would serve you very well.

Bonus: you get paid for RA positions.

Last edited:
I just mentioned this in another thread, but I would recommend an RA position if research is what you're looking for. Depending on the lab you work in (and their productivity and tendency to list RAs on publications), there's a chance you could be on multiple publications, which would serve you very well.
Thanks for your response. The lab I've applied to work in is extremely productive but unfortunatly doesn't seem to list RAs on their publications, or at least I can't find them. I will look further, but thanks again for your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asked this same question a little while back. I think it was Lisa44201 who sided strongly towards a masters. Though I can't speak for her, she did make a strong argument based on the experience she got through an MA. Maybe send a PM?

Asked this same question a little while back. I think it was Lisa44201 who sided strongly towards a masters. Though I can't speak for her, she did make a strong argument based on the experience she got through an MA. Maybe send a PM?
She did make a great point, thanks for letting me know about that.

If I was to go the RA route, how important is is that the research I work on match my research interests that I would want to pursue during my doctoral education? Some of the RA positions I've applied to match my interests well, others not so much. The cool thing about the Masters is that I could do my own research that I am really interested in.

I would say it's a balancing act between the match between the lab's research interests and the likelihood of being involved in publications. If it's a great fit and you interview, ask them the extent to which RAs can be involved in the research process. If it's an okay fit and you interview, you could let them know your broad interests and assess whether they think you could work on a poster/paper that is closer to your interests. Labs that are productive likely have archival data or a number of constructs they include in research projects that you could see about taking a small piece and writing it up. That way it feels more like "your" research, but the data may have already been collected (which is a process that, depending on your area of research, could save you months to years), cleaned, and ready for you to analyze and write up. In an ideal case, you would be helping with ongoing research (a great experience in and of itself), collaborating on papers with experienced writers (maybe being, say like, fourth author on something), and possibly taking the lead on something as well. A PI who is supportive of your ultimate goals for graduate school will help you get involved to build your CV. To add in my knowledge of RAs versus masters programs, I know that the people in my program who worked as an RA tended to have the most research experiences. A masters program has an emphasis on coursework, which I don't think will benefit you all that much unless your GPA isn't all that great. You would likely get those courses anyway in your doctoral program. The major project you likely will focus on (the thesis) will be your doing to an extent, but I imagine that's all you'll get unless you know the masters program really involves their students in other research.

Yes, I do advocate the funded Master's degree route, provided the program provides research opportunities. I had a GA position as a Statistical Analyst, as well as extensive coursework; the GA position out me in a good spot for authorship credit as a methodologist, plus provided me with networking contacts I did not have going into the program. My undergrad GPA wasn't that bad - 3.53 - but I desperately needed research experience. There were no research labs close to where I went to school as an undergrad. I received a good offer from a funded Master's program, and ran with it. In addition to being in a PhD program, I also have a job which requires a Master's degree; that alone makes the experience worth it for me.

I went through an unfunded 2-year MS program with a thesis option. I got coursework (something I wanted, as I wanted a stronger foundation in Psychology before starting a PhD program), got to "try out" being a grad student in Psych and seeing if this is something I wanted to commit to for the next 6 years, got some teaching experience and lecturing experience by working as a TA for other graduate classes, and got to explore different areas of Psychology. I also had a great mentor, who made sure I got research and clinical experiences, let me do an ambitious thesis, and wrote me killer LORs for grad school. I ended up getting into my top choice program, and I'm pretty sure it's partly because of the strong relationship I developed with my mentor.

In my opinion, most people go the RA route, get a poster or two, maybe get their name on a manuscript, and enter grad school just fine. But I really loved the opportunity to do all different things with my time- classwork, research, teaching, clinical work- and figure out what was right for me and what I wanted out of life. I also got to design my thesis from scratch, which you can't really do in an RA/RC position. As far as the funding, I made it work by getting paid TA positions, and other career-related positions that could be put on my CV. And if you go to a program that also has a reputable PhD program, sometimes people will end up staying there for their PhD.

Just some food for thought. At the end of the day, it's important to remember that every lab is different. Some RA/RC positions might give you fantastic opportunities, and some labs within certain master's programs night not- and vice versa. It's really just finding fit for you, whatever that may look like.

Thank you all so much for your advice! This has been really helpful.

Slightly related, I'm in a different place in my journey... hoping you guys will have some advice.

Originally I applied to 8 Clinical Psychology PhD programs. My application was strong except my independent research experience, so I gave it a shot. In February, having heard nothing, I applied to a couple funded, research oriented masters programs. I got into one that I like with a full assistantship! I also eventually got an interview at one PhD program and I am currently an alternate. I like the PhD program okay, but can't help but thinking I'll put myself in a much better position for another round of PhD applications by going through the masters and really refining my interests and doing my own research. The only real downside is taking another two years before starting PhD. Also it's extra rosy because it's my best offer right now...

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated :)