1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Race/Ethnicity

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by clarabelle, Aug 15, 2011.

1. clarabelle

clarabelle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was born in Spain, and consider myself Spanish and Hispanic. (Not latina or others.) It is very much a part of who I am and I want to identify myself as such on my ERAS. The ERAS even has a box which includes Spanish and Hispanic, which rarely happens. When I go to check that box, however, it asks that I leave it blank if I am European, which Spanish people obviously are. Any idea what I should do with this? I am very torn. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think they are getting at whether you are a "Spanish / Hispanic American" or not. If you were born in Spain and are now a US citizen, then choosing Hispanic is fine. If you are not a US citizen, then you should not choose any of them.

No matter what you choose, no one is discounting your heritage. These classifications are used to measure how different US citizen racial demographics perform in the application / matching process. If you're not a US citizen, you shouldn't choose any. I'm surprised that they don't link those two questions.

Of note, for long standing undocumented residents of the US, it would probably be reasonable to list your racial background even though you are not actually a US citizen, but that is a very politically charged question / issue.