Race/Ethnicity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarabelle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was born in Spain, and consider myself Spanish and Hispanic. (Not latina or others.) It is very much a part of who I am and I want to identify myself as such on my ERAS. The ERAS even has a box which includes Spanish and Hispanic, which rarely happens. When I go to check that box, however, it asks that I leave it blank if I am European, which Spanish people obviously are. Any idea what I should do with this? I am very torn. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they are getting at whether you are a "Spanish / Hispanic American" or not. If you were born in Spain and are now a US citizen, then choosing Hispanic is fine. If you are not a US citizen, then you should not choose any of them.

No matter what you choose, no one is discounting your heritage. These classifications are used to measure how different US citizen racial demographics perform in the application / matching process. If you're not a US citizen, you shouldn't choose any. I'm surprised that they don't link those two questions.

Of note, for long standing undocumented residents of the US, it would probably be reasonable to list your racial background even though you are not actually a US citizen, but that is a very politically charged question / issue.