Race like a pisshorse

Discussion in 'Step I' started by BrisketAttack, Jun 17, 2008.

1. BrisketAttack

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A concept has bothered me since the start of medschool.

In the hours leading up to a big test, it seems like I have to pee 10X as much as usual. This is perplexing to me because I expect that my sympathetic system is cranking like crazy, and isn't the SANS supposed to quell the urge to urinate and defecate? Instead, I have the exact opposite urges. I cannot make sense of this phenomenon.

If someone can shed some light on this, I'd love to hear an explanation.

2. alpha06

alpha06 Senior Member
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    (1) Do you have increased thirst?
    (2) Do you drink caffeine in the morning?

When I drink coffee in the morning, I usually have to use the bathroom frequently.

3. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    are you an athlete?

4. murphomatic

murphomatic Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i get the same thing too. The only explanation I could think of is that SNS increases BP and therefore increases GFR leading to an increase urine flow rate.

5. TerpMD

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha. I have this same prob. I think it's all in my head... I think I have to go but really I would have been fine holding it any other time. Why can I sit in a movie for 3 hours but not sit in a test that long?!? Hopefully, my prometric center has a nice, clean bathroom.

6. BrisketAttack

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Interesting. so more urine is being made. this is plausible. now, how to account for the poo? the mysteries of human pipes. sweet lord, what did we get ourselves into?

7. It'sElectric

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Exactly. 10 minutes into just about every run, I have to take a crap like no other. WTF? Maybe the bouncing around loosens everything up, but can't my sympathetics do just a little better job of calming that crap down (pun intended).

8. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Being nervous gets some people's guts moving, while in others it causes them to cramp up. On the plus side, apparently being a "nervous crapper," as it were, decreases your chances of getting colon cancer.

9. Messerschmitts

Messerschmitts Mythic Dawn acolyte
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ha ha this is a great thread. I have to pee more than anyone during exams. I just finished my USMLE today. You get one potential break after every block, and I took every single one to go pee, so within 7 hours I went 6 times. And during the second block I had to rush to finish the block because I couldn't hold it in anymore, I had to pee so bad.

I've also never been able to make sense of why you need to pee when you're nervous, since sympathetics are supposed to oppose urination.

10. It'sElectric

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That, and the large quantities of fiber I attempt to consume each day. Colon cancer (and cancer in general) runs in the family, so I'll take what I can get to reduce my risk.

11. Mr. Freeze

Mr. Freeze Not right. (in the head)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    All I know is that I will pee on myself before I get flagged for "irregular behavior" during a block.

I plan on salt-loading like mad the night before, to counter my caffeine habit.