racergirl is back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racergirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to let you know that I just got back from NYC. It really made no sense to go, but my mother was falling apart so I put her in the car and we just went. It took us days, but we found my brother. He's alive.

I can't tell you what I'm feeling, what it felt like to find my bother's name on the list of injured. It sounds like a cliche, but I really did laugh and cry at the same time.

My brother doesn't remember much of what happened. He remembers the plane hitting the first tower, and his office deciding to evacuate, but that's it. He has burns on his face, arms and hands, plus a fractured skull and clavicle from falling debris. I talked to several doctors and hospital staff, and they said my brother arrived with two fire-fighters, all covered with dust. The theory is that he had made it to the street and a little ways further when the first tower collapsed. I would have liked to thank those firefighters--I'm sure they saved my brother's life--but they were already gone. They were treated and released, and went back to work.

I've met so many people in these last few days, people looking for friends, husbands, wives, daughters and sons. Many of these people won't hear the same news my mother and I did. They'll never get the chance to talk to their loved ones, to hold them, to tell them they love them just one more time. I got that chance, and I feel lucky and guilty at the same time.

Remember what's important, everyone. When I got home today, it was to one interview invite (my state school), and to the news that my application still had not been verified. Big deal.

I still want to be a doctor, maybe now more than ever, but now the little fustrations we're all going through in the application process just don't seem that important. When you get pissed off at AMCAS or whatever, go hug your boyfriend or your mom or your cat. Tell them you love them, and try to remember how lucky you are.

Good Luck Everyone.

Racergirl

Members don't see this ad.

thats a nice story to here racergirl. i'm glad you're happy again.

that is great news. from all of us here on sdn please give our best to your family and brother.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so glad to hear that you found your brother! That's quite a story. I can't even begin to imagine your relief.

take care,
--kris

I don't know quite to say -- it's so good to hear just a few stories like that, it the midst of all the other sadness.

I wish all the best for you and your family.

You're right. This AMCAS mess isn't even worth crying over now. There are people who woke up, thinking it was just another day at the office that fateful day. Little did they know that their life was to be altered forever.

I'm SO happy for you! It's so refreshing to hear stories with happy endings in times like these. I had been thinking about you a lot. Give your brother the best from all of us SDN'ers. I wish him a speedy recovery from his injuries and a long and happy life to come! :)

Thank God. You know, even though I don't know you and we've only corresponded briefly on these forums about applying to medical school, I found myself periodically thinking about you and your brother since your last post. I'm so glad everything turned out well.

That is wondeful to hear. I'm so happy for you and your family. We really should take the time to reflect in the midst of all this craziness and feel blessed that we can go after our dreams and have the opportunity to. The more obstacles you have to overcome just makes the reward all the more sweeter. :)

Congratulations, racergirl.

Racergirl,

I'm so happy to know that you're happy. I know those days must have been like nothing you've ever experienced before. I'm glad to have you back. Take care...

:)

Hi racergirl,

I can't imagine what you were going through those days when you couldn't find him. I have two brothers, and if that had happened, I would have gone out of my mind.

I feel deeply for those who've lost a loved one. It is hard. When I lost my daughter it was and is still earth shattering, but motivating at the same time. I guess as future physicians, we must use our negative emotions, such as pain and sorrow, as our motivations. I do everyday.

God bless,
Alicia

racergirl, I would just like to take a moment to send you and your family my sincerest and best wishes, and to thank you for your heartfelt and inspiring post. I cannot imagine the kind of pain and fear that your family has endured these past two weeks. And that your brother is now safe...bless you all.

Thank you for the message of hope you've given all of us. You all continue to be in my prayers.

racergirl,

I'm so sorry that I missed your posts about this. I had no idea.

I'm so sorry that your family was put through so much terror. I'm incredibly glad that your brother is ok. I don't know what I would do if something happened to my little brother.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It's nice to see at least one semi-happy ending from this.

(((hugs)))

Pam